Thursday, December 05, 2013

{real life snapshot}

A few breakfast dishes linger in the kitchen sink. The first batch of laundry is humming away in the basement. My hair is pulled back in a fuzzy bed-head pony tail. A few books and toys litter the living room floor. Christmas decorations are strewn across the kitchen table, waiting to find a home and the list of things that need tackled this morning seems to stretch out in front of me.

Yet in the midst of all the work surrounding me, I find myself singing "Jingle Bells" at the top of my lungs with a girlie in my kitchen as she delightedly shakes a handful of jingle bells that were discovered in the Christmas box. Her excited face says it all as she asks "again? again?" each time the song is over.

In the midst of enjoying the moment I couldn't help but think that down the road, Arianna won't remember the dishes in the sink or my long to-do list for the morning. Chances are likely that she won't remember this sweet moment in the kitchen together, either. 

What I do hope she remembers is that I love her oh, so dearly. I hope she remembers that she took priority over projects. That being busy doesn't diminish the fun we can have in the midst of it all. And that a day is never to full to take a moment to enjoy simple pleasures and the delight of being together.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful post! love how much you love to take time with your little girlie.

Nicole Lyon said...

I love this so much!!! So so much!

Carrie Bryson said...

Looking over some old posts - Bethany, you will never, ever regret the moments *stolen* from "chores" to spend with your precious wee ones! You have it right. Keep doing what you're doing. God is pleased with your embracing of this high calling. <3 Mrs. Bryson