Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Supper is served

Something about this colder weather calls for a creamy bowl of soup -- and what's better than letting it cook in the crock pot all day allowing delicious smells to waft through the house?! Tonight I made corn chowder for the first time, and served it up with pumpkin bread and salad with my favorite olive oil vinaigrette. Yay for easy and delicious slow cooker recipes!

And as of yesterday, we are now owners of a small deep freeze -- which has me all excited about being able to do more freezer cooking. Thus far I've only had the small freezer above our fridge, so though I occasionally plan to freeze meals, more often than not I buy meat in bulk when its on sale, thus limiting how much space I have for actual prepared meals.

But now I'm on the hunt for fabulous freezer meal ideas! (Excellent timing, don't you think? I'm hoping to have a variety of meals prepped and in the freezer before baby comes). We have a few favorites that freeze well, but if you have experience and suggestions, I'd love to hear from you!

What are some of your favorite freezer meal ideas? 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shepherd's Pie.

Anonymous said...

I like wet burritos. I often add rice to the meat and bean mixture and it makes it really yummy! Another idea I love to do is mix up cinnamon rolls, let them rise, roll out and put in pans, cover and pop in freezer right away. To thaw, I put the oven on lowest temp and pop rolls in to thaw and rise. Bake at normal temperature. They taste as good as fresh! I'm a mommy of 2 sweet lil girls and another lil one on the way, so things like this sure come in handy! Have a blessed week!!

Lesley said...

Yay for a freezer! And perfect timing for before baby! My aunt came and helped me make a bunch of meals for our freezer to have ready for baby's arrival and it has been such a blessing to not have to cook! :)

Soups and casseroles are always good freezer staples. Enchiladas, lasagna, pizza (all ready to go but not baked yet) are also good. We also experimented with cutting up veggies to go with roast and freezing them. Bread, rolls, muffins, pancakes, waffles - all nice to have on hand in the freezer too. :)

Jennifer said...

Currently in my deep freezer we have chicken soup, turkey chili, spaghetti sauce & beef stew. All perfect for those cold winter nights!

Jessi said...

Any of my favorite soups/steps are great for going in the freezer! I usually store them in my nice 2-qt baking dishes (with sealed tops), but you can also freeze soup flat in large plastic bags (and then stack them up nicely). I also like freezing shepherd's pie, quiche, homemade spaghetti sauce, homemade cheese ravioli, and strombolli. And of course, a typical lasagna or chicken/veggie/pasta casserole would freeze well too.