Saturday, November 09, 2013

Recent Reads

If reading board and flip-flap books to Ari counts, I've read more books in the last few months than the previous few years put together! She has her favorites that are now committed to my memory; I could probably quote them in my sleep, if necessary. {smile}

Currently, I'm about to finish "Fit to Burst" by Rachel Jankovic. After reading each chapter, I feel like I need to re-read the same chapter...both now...and again in a few months...and at least once a year! At the same time, it's SO GOOD (and encouraging and convicting and totally refreshing) that I can't wait to read the next chapter and hate having to put the book down.


Written from a busy mother's heart, this book is full of simple truths, calling us to faithfulness and finding our sufficiency in Christ -- and I can't recommend it highly enough. (Her first book, "Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches" is also one of my favorites).



 "Craft a Day" was a fun 'library' find...
and not that I've had opportunity to actually make something from it, but its fun to flip through the pages! Lots of creative hands on ideas that will be fun with Ari before much longer. 



After reading bits here and there for the past several months, I've almost completed "In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day." I've thoroughly enjoyed it -- my lack of progress is not due to lack of interest, that's for sure! Something to do with daily responsibilities seems to cut down on the time I have to read...


I've also been skimming baby name books and recently listened to Jane Austen's "Persuasion" on audio book (its always fun to pull out an old classic every once in a while!) 



What are you currently reading?

And for bonus points:
Grab the book nearest you and turn to page 32, paragraph 3. 
Copy the second sentence in the comments and let us all get a smile out of the random blurbs, insight, and humor that gather! 

{grin}

22 comments:

Rebecca said...

Just finished God's Smuggler by Brother Andrew again - one of my favorite books to re-read!

My quote comes from Three People by Isabella Alden
"At last his face broadened, and his eyes twinkled, and he leaned back in his seat and indulged in a long, loud, hearty laugh."

Grace Mieczkowski said...

"Mar needn't think she's goin' to help every time, but tonight bein' the first, I won't say anything."

This is from House of Love by Elizabeth Cheney, a wonderful book about forgiveness and perseverance through difficulty.

Moriah Mari said...

I'm planning to get back to reading "Future Grace" by: John Piper and I'll take my sentence from there which is, "Gratitude itself does not nullify grace."

Alison said...

"A counter jutted out into the room from the left wall about halfway back."

Lol! Kinda boring, but...ah well. ;) That's a descriptive novel for ya!

Marshall Arts said...

Bethany,
Another MUST READ for you is "Delight-Full: 31 Days to a Happier Baby...and Wholehearted Motherhood".The author, Kate Collins, is a friend of mine (she hails from Michigan, too, and lives here in San Antonio) and she is the real deal. From the first time I met her almost 5 years ago, she had a sparkle in her spirit that I found amazing. Her husband commissioned her to write this book because he also sees she has something that God has infused in her that He can also infuse in each Christian woman/mama. There is a trailer on Vision Forum's website (they are the publishers) where you can see her talk about why she wrote this very personal book. She is a true encourager and desires to bless others, even though she has now run the risk of putting herself "out there". Amazon also carries this book (think Swagbucks...). I turned to page 32 in her book, but there are only 2 paragraphs...so sorry I couldn't comply! Blessings, Pam Marshall

Amy said...

"Success depends on getting many nutrients for each calorie "dollar". "

From a textbook "Understanding Nutrition", I'm currently in study mode : )

Anonymous said...

Another friend of mine recently mentioned Fit to Burst to me and I've heard great things about it.

Samantha

Abigail Cashelle said...

"Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit;/ For you have redeemed me, O Lord, O God of truth./ Keep us, O Lord, as the apple of your eye;/ Hide us under the shadow of your wings."

From the Book of Common Prayer, page 132 (because page 32 was a calendar.)

Abigail

Hannah Landis said...

"First I'd like some water, if you have some."

From the Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...does a music book count? How about "dim. pp molto tranquillo."

: )

Fiddling K

Elizabeth Kilpatrick said...

"If you are His child, He will go everywhere with you today." from Lies Young Women Believe by Nancy Leigh DeMoss.

Bethany Johnston said...

"Portia whispered back, pulling at his sleeve."

From Gone-Aaway Lake by Elizabeth Enright. this is one of my favorite novels.

Esther Beasley said...

"If the "gravest question" before us really is what God Himself is like, how do we learn to know Him?"

From "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan

Mikayla said...

The Hebrew term for "Holy" derives from the Hebrew word qadosh which means "set apart".

From Moral Choices, an introduction to ethics :)

Mikayla said...

The Hebrew term for "Holy" derives from the Hebrew word qadosh which means "set apart".

From Moral Choices, an introduction to ethics :)

My said...

"This was not a six-story building coming down -- this was the equivalent of an earthquake."

From: Report From Ground Zero by Dennis Smith

elizabeyta said...

I know it is hard to post frequently as a mother with you children. I am a grandmother with a small grandson we watch almost every day. But I am enjoying your more regular posting very much.

Thank you.

His Way Services said...

"yeah, Jupiter," she answered matter-of-factly. "Do you know him?"

-Angels on the Night Shift

I enjoy this book very much.

Rebecca K.

Jessica said...

I have a blog, too, and, despite not being a mother or housekeeper, I find it hard to post frequently; still, I am glad that I can enjoy more of your posts. My bookreading, currently hasn't gone anywhere, but I do like many classics.

Kristin said...

:I read that if someone is under stress, and suddenly something extraordinary happens, they usually buckle and spill the information," Esther said excitedly." from the book 'Amalyah's Search for Love' by Harvey Yoder.

I'm enjoying your more frequent postings!

Kristin

Amanda said...

"So little Dale will be as grubby as his big brothers. After the pie eating contest, they're all a sight!"
-From 'Bittersweet' by Cathy Marie Hake

Spencer R. said...

This is a great idea!
I've been reading G.A. Henty's "By England's Aid" and just finished Bunyan's classic, "The Pilgrim's Progress".

My random book is "The Complete Tales & Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh" by A.A. Milne. Page 32 only has TWO paragraphs (it is the beginning of chapter three; In Which Pooh and Piglet Go Hunting and Nearly Catch a Woozle) but if you go on to page 33, the second sentence of the first paragraph that has two sentences is:
"Pooh was walking round and round in a circle, thinking of something else, and when Piglet called to him, he just went on walking." :-) Thanks for the fun!