Thursday, November 07, 2013

Esther's Sunshine Rolls


I think the first time I had these was at my wedding rehearsal...and I've been super lucky ever since to see them appear at various Beasley family get togethers. Warm from the oven, there is no way I'm stopping after just one...or two...

Actually, I purposely lose count (or purpose not to count), so who knows how many I really eat?!?

And the first time I heard what was in them, I was amazed. They don't taste pumpkin-y, but something about that pumpkin makes them super delish, moist, fluffy, delectable...okay. Gotta' stop. My mouth is watering!


Esther's Sunshine Rolls

1 cup pumpkin
1.5 cups warm water
3/4 tablespoons yeast
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup honey
1/2 tablespoon salt
5-6 1/2 cups flour (I use a mixture of wheat and white)


Add yeast to the warm water then mix in 1 1/2 cups flour. Add butter, pumpkin, honey, and salt and mix till well blended. Slowly add the rest of the flour a cup at a time (or until dough is no longer sticky and pulls away from the edges of the bowl). Knead for five minutes, then cover and let it rise for 30 minutes (or until doubled in size).


Form dough into golf ball sized portions. With a knife, take a slab of butter and 'smash' it it in the top of the roll then fold the edge of the dough over it (this should take an additional 1/4 cup butter, depending on how sparing or generous you are with your butter slices!) Place on baking sheet. Let rise for thirty minutes or until doubled in size. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 14-15 minutes.

{ENJOY THE MELT IN YOUR MOUTH GOODNESS}


*Esther is the queen of doubling and quadrupling this recipe for family and events; I've just posted a smaller batch here as I'm not sure what I would do with six or twelve dozen rolls, other than eat so many that I begin to look like a roll myself! Okay -- so I kind of already am, but that's baby related so it doesn't count!


7 comments:

Alison said...

Oh, Bethany. These look AH-MAZING!

And I.maybe.laughed WAY too much at your little note on the end, there. ;)

Annie said...

Mmmm, these look so yummy! Thanks for sharing!

Hannah Elise said...

these look so good!! will definitely have to try sometime. :) looking forward to more of your posts here in November!

Anna B. said...

Yummyyummyyummy

A Heart of Praise said...

Oh my, going to have to make these!

Stephanie M said...

Made these last night, but made them dairy and gluten0-free. They turned out very good!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the recipe! I made this for company tonight. Very enjoyable. The only change I'll make is to bake in a cake pan not a cookie sheet because the bottoms burned (I should have known from past experience :)