Thursday, November 14, 2013

Day by day

My morning starts with the alarm going off. After quickly getting ready for the day, its time to make breakfast, pack a lunch for my hard working man, and get Arianna up and ready for the day. After breakfast, I kiss my man as he walks out the door then its time to clean the kitchen before sitting down to read my girlie a few stories and have some focused time with her.

From there, I might tackle a decorating project, cleaning project, or whatever else is on my to-do list! I'm a huge fan of lists, by the way, but I've learned they can be both helpful and yet have disadvantages, too.

Some days a list is the perfect thing to keep me motivated. (Or jog my memory in the event I can't remember what I'm supposed to tackle next!)

Then there are the days when Ari wakes up with a fever. Or the day fills up with unexpected tasks. Or the mornings when I'm an over-achiever and my list is full of ideal wishes instead of realistic goals. Or a thousand and one other things. Either way, the list gets neglected and looking at it at the end of the day is discouraging cuz' even though it was a full day, the list shows no change! {smile} 

So I've been trying to find this balance between making plans and being diligent, but at the same time remaining unruffled and flexible when plans go awry.


How can you care enough to try, but no so much that you lose it when you fail?

How can you be motivated to work hard on something that will, in all likelihood, fall apart sometime in the near future? [laundry? cleaning? etc...]

How can you aspire to have a productive day, but hold it loosely when it doesn't happen?

How can you both work diligently on a to-do list and cheerfully lay it down when you are interrupted?


I've been so blessed by these questions from Rachel's "Fit to Burst".  Even though I don't have all the answers, they are worth pondering as I learn to embrace each day for its own beauty.




"Day by day, and with each passing moment,
strength I find to meet my trails here;
Trusting in my Father's wise bestowment,
I've no cause for worry or for fear.
He, whose heart is kind beyond all measure, 
Gives unto each day what He deems best,
Lovingly its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.

-Carolina Berg

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was a wondering post today
and blessed my heart! Thanks
for having "deeper" and more
important heart stuff included
in your writings......God is
being glorified as you "Keep on
Keepin' On" for Him!!! Gal. 6:9 ;o)

Holly said...

Great post, Bethany. One thing I have always admired about you through the years of reading your blog is that you are *not lazy*!!!! You inspire me. :)