Thursday, January 17, 2013

Rosemary Olive Oil Bread

There is nothing like the smell of fresh bread wafting through the house...and then slicing a piece to enjoy while it's still warm from the oven.

Growing up, we always ate a batch of bread so quickly there were no worries that it would go stale. But when cooking for two, keeping fresh bread on hand can be tricky. That is why I love muffins and biscuits -- and this recipe. One loaf is perfect for a meal and is still small enough that it gets eaten before getting dry. AND the dough freezes super well. I often double this recipe and bake half and freeze half. Then the next time I need bread, its simply a matter of pulling it out of the freezer and baking it. Easy breezy!


Rosemary Olive Oil Bread

1 cup warm water (100-110 F)
1 Tbl. sugar
2 tsp. active dry yeast
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped (or 2 tsp. dried)
1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning 
(or pinch of each ground garlic, dried oregano, and dried basil)
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper (optional)
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup bread flour + extra for kneading
1 egg, whisked + 1 Tbsp. water, for egg wash
dried rosemary, for sprinkling

The same blog also has several other delish looking recipes that I am now eager to try sometime.


And why is it that I always forget to take pictures after I bake something? I guess I could take pictures of our happy smiles after eating -- or the leftover crumbs, but that really doesn't help you in picturing the deliciousness of this bread! {smile}   
  


1. In a large bowl, combine the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Let sit 10 minutes. 

2. Stir in the salt, rosemary, seasonings, olive oil, and whole wheat flour. Add the bread flour and stir until the dough forms a ball. Knead on a lightly floured surface (or with the dough hook in a mixer) for about 5 minutes, adding more flour as necessary to prevent sticking, until smooth.

3.  If you are planning on freezing the dough, loosely wrap dough in saran-wrap and  place in a ziploc bag. Set in the freezer immediately. (It will expand while in the freezer -- don't worry. It will still bake beautifully later.) If baking the same day, place dough in a lightly greased bowl; cover; and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

4. Punch down the dough and form it into a round loaf. Place it on a cornmeal dusted parchment paper; cover; and let rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.

5. Meanwhile, preheat oven (and pizza stone) to 400 F. Once the dough has risen, gently brush the top with egg wash and sprinkle with dried rosemary.

6. Bake on preheated stone for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.

Makes 1 round loaf.

To bake frozen dough:
remove dough from freezer and let thaw in fridge overnight or for 6-8 hours. Place on cornmeal dusted pizza peel or parchment paper, cover; and let rise until doubled in size, about 60 minutes. Proceed with step five to bake.


Enjoy!

6 comments:

Sarah Stelzl said...

Mmmmm! This sounds and looks delicious - and I even have my own rosemary bush right in the front yard! Thanks for sharing - I will definitely be making this for my family soon =)

Erin said...

Oh, can't wait to try this! Thanks Bethany :)

Aaron and Naomi said...

Looks wonderful!

Elizabeth said...

I also made this delicious-looking bread, Bethany! And, if I remember correctly, I think I found the recipe on your pinterest cooking board. =) I love how you comment on the recipes you have made with comments on how it went and such...I find that very helpful! =) Blessings, Bethany!

Anonymous said...

I made this bread last week and thought you should know that it was considered a very successful experiment not only by me but the other two in my life who tasted it. Thanks for an excellent recipe! (I had only dried rosemary on hand which worked well although I'm sure the fresh would enhance the flavor even more.)

Anonymous said...

Bethany, This looks wonderful. I want to let you know that the white chicken chili you had on your blog quite a while ago has become a regular at our house. We call it "Bethany's Soup" actually. =) Thank you for your joyful spirit in mothering and marriage!
~ Charity U's mom ;)