Wednesday, January 23, 2013

one more day

I don't know if its due to Christmas travels or because a few more teeth are coming in, but Arianna has been up several times a night lately -- which always makes mornings come way too quickly! As I push through to count my blessings in the midst of heavy eyes and the wish for more sleep, something I read recently comes to mind and has encouraged me in the midst of day-to-day responsibilities:


I get an invitation every morning when I wake up to actually live a life of complete engagement, a life of whimsy, a life where love does.  It doesn't come in an envelope. It's ushered in by a sunrise, the sound of a bird, or the smell of coffee drifting lazily from the kitchen.

I've seen plenty of people turn down an invitation to fully live...
It looks like seeing something really beautiful as just normal.

Accept the invitation to actually live, to fully participate in this AMAZING LIFE for one more day.

-Bob Goff
Love Does


I'm striving to enjoy the moment and appreciate the little, sometimes ever day things about my life RIGHT NOW
The sound of my baby's giggle...her little arms wrapped around my neck...the sun sparkling on the snow...a hard-working man who comes home every night and wraps me in a hug...a warm cup of hot chocolate and time in God's Word...

will you join me in taking a little time to stop and savor the blessings that surround us?
What are you thankful for in your life right now?

16 comments:

Mikala said...

Thanks for sharing that quote, Bethany! I needed it. I am thankful that God will never leave us, even when we make really stupid mistakes. He gives us second chances!!

arizona seo company said...

She's so cute. I adore kids very much, their faces are so peaceful and quiet. Really, they're the stress eliminator for parents. Thanks for sharing your daughter's photo.

Anonymous said...

Thankful for right now? Bethany Lynne and this post.
Precious insights.

Andrea Joy Maendel said...

*Just* what I needed to read! I think we're in the same season of life in that respect, and I've been tempted so often lately to resent those short nights. We have SO much to be grateful for, and it's so easy to let those little, oh-so-fleeting hardships steal the joy away from the rich and full life God has given us! Thanks for the timely reminder!

Katy said...

Thanks for the reminder Bethany! =)

Anonymous said...

I know a lady who just lost her baby,
due to some health problems the baby girl had.
And I will never forget what she said... "I try to capture every moment like the next one will never come, even the nights I have to get up and take care of a child through the night. Or even the nights that last forever, I try to appreciate the hard times and realize that God is in control, he knows everything that happens to me, I can trust him through everything.
I have learned to capture special moments and keep them for the hard times. learn to cherish those memories, you'll be glad someday."
You sound like you're already doing it!

Anonymous said...

Wow that's a good way to look at it! Today I am thankful for my husband to b very soon n how God has worked out what looked impossible.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this post! I am a new mother myself and this was very encouraging! I've been following your blog for a few years and have enjoyed it!

Blessings in Christ,
Shannon

PS My family and I just saw your family in concert! And my husband went to Ukraine several years ago with your brother Andrew! Just wanted to share :) Its so amazing how the Lord makes those connections!

A Heart of Praise said...

Thanks for this post:) I have three little ones ages two and under, at times it can be overwhelming:) I need to remember to treasure each moment and thank the Lord for the blessings!

Anonymous said...

I remember this friend when I went to visit and she was nursing her baby and she said with her first child, she found it hard to get up at night. But as time went by, she says she now loves getting up at night and its quiet and peaceful and spend time with her baby and God and it was something she truly looked forward too no matter how many times she got up at night and so weary the next day.


kathy

Susan said...

What a good reminder, Bethany. I read "One Thousand Gifts" recently and decided to become more aware of all the little things there are to be thankful for on even the most stressful days. Today those little things were warm socks, coffee and nap time for the kiddos, which meant a little bit of quiet for me. :)

His Way Services said...

God, my family, my home, health, freedom, God's word, friends.

The sleep you lose will not be wasted even though it may wear you.
You are trying to savor these precious moments, and that's good. God knows your heart and will bless you for it.

Rebecca

Aubrey Heki said...

Yes! I can relate. My little one has been up multiple times throughout the night just about every night since she was born. Here's to livin' life fully!

Alison said...

Today, I am thankful for: A yummy dinner, special time with my baby cousin, laughter with my family, candles, God's Word, and -- your friendship! An insightful post and a sweet, virtuous author. :)
Blessings,
Ali

rebecca vandemark said...

Bethany ~ I have been enjoying your blog for several months now! This post was such a wonderful reminder to stop and thank the Lord for each moment. Thank you so much for sharing!

~ Rebecca :) ~

Amanda said...

I am grateful that we are on a pilgrimage and our destination is everlasting fellowship with God! Where He will wipe away every tear and there will be no need for the sun or moon, because We will be in His radiant light forever! Isn't that a wonderful thought! Thank you for pointing our thoughts heavenward with your post!
Amanda