Wednesday, December 05, 2012

any-way-you-want muffins

These are seriously my all time favorite muffins. 

Not only is the actual muffin delicious, but I've done a lot of experimenting with them and they always turn out fabulous. Since the latest experiment was with cranberries, that is the recipe I'm sharing. 


1 1/2 C flour
2 tsp baking powder
dash of salt
1/2 C sugar (or honey or sorghum or whatever natural sweetener you prefer)
1 egg
1/3 C oil
1/3ish C milk (not an exact amount, I know -- but you'll see why later)
1 tsp vanilla
1 C cranberries, roughly chopped
1/4 C white chips or almond slivers (or both!)


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Measure dry ingredients into mixing bowl.

Into a measuring cup, pour in the 1/3 C oil. Add the egg, then fill with milk to the 1 cup line. Beat mixture, then add vanilla and sweetener (if using honey) and pour in with the dry ingredients. Stir just until moistened. DON'T OVER MIX.

Add 3/4 C of the cranberries and chips or nuts. Mix, then pour into greased or lined muffins tins. Sprinkle the remaining cranberry pieces on top. Bake in oven for 8-12 minutes or until deliciously golden and the house smells amazing.

Oh -- and the muffin-liner will come off easier if you let them slightly cool before eating. [smile]

And like I mentioned previously, these adapt super well to whatever you have on hand or is in season. I've listed below the things that I've tried and had great success with:

  • 1 C blueberries
  • 3/4 C peaches & dash of cinnamon/nutmeg
  • 3/4 C chopped strawberries & handful of butterscotch chips (Not to downplay how amazing these muffins are with cranberries, but seriously -- go buy strawberries and butterscotch chips and try this combination. I'm not sure what gave me the idea to try them together to begin with, but they are a raving success and oh, so delicious!)
  • 1 large or two small smashed bananas & handful of chocolate chips/nuts
Let me know if you do any experimenting of your own with this recipe. Hope you enjoy!

8 comments:

Anna B. said...

I remember what made you first try strawberries and butterscotch!! I was out there in VA and we were in desperate need of a snack (big surprise, right?) and muffins sounded good. You didnt' have any chocolate chips left, but you did have some butterscotch ones. And you had some strawberries leftover from the salad and so you threw them together. (not a very grand story, but it made me think about my 2 months out there and so I'd thought I'd post just as not.

I pretty much love eating at your house. Thinking about it makes me hungry:)

<3

Jessica said...

Oooh! I want to give these a try, I have quite bit of cranberries left from Thanksgiving and was wondering how to use them. This just gave me a good idea.

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Jessica

Brooke S said...

Bethany, this sounds delicious!! I'm going to try making it gluten free. I'll let you know how it turns out!!

Annie said...

These look delicious, I'm gonna try them soon!

Hannah C. said...

These are amzing! I made them this morning and everyone of my siblings loved them! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Anonymous said...

In the oven :) I can't wait to try them!

Thanks
Leanne

Ashley said...

Mmmm, these do sound super good! :) I will try making them soon! Thanks for sharing!

-Ashley

Anonymous said...

Bethany. I made these last night and it turned out doughy... I had it at the right temperature and time......