Monday, October 29, 2012

soup weather

With the changing of leaves and the temperatures drastically dropping, it calls for pulling out the fuzzy socks, cozy sweaters, and favorite soup recipes!

Or if you like experimenting in the kitchen, it can also mean looking for new recipes in hopes of adding to the stash of favorites. I came across this recipe and couldn't wait to try it. I made a few revisions to compliment what I already had in my pantry and to also include our preferences. For instance: when it comes to soup, meat chunks are always preferred over shredded meat. [smile]  

Hm-mm-m. I love the hearty fall vegetables and savory flavors. 



Harvest Chicken Quinoa Soup

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
7 cups chicken broth
2 small/medium potatoes
2 boneless chicken breasts
2/3 cup quinoa
1/2 acorn squashed, fully cooked and peeled
1 1/2 cups spinach
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
favorite soup seasonings (salt, pepper, parsley, thyme, etc...)

Begin by simmering the oil, carrots, onion, and garlic for 10 minutes.  Scrub and cube the potatoes, then add them to the soup along with the broth and seasonings. While that simmers for another 10 minutes, cut the chicken into bite-size chunks and rinse the quinoa. Add them both to the soup and simmer until chicken and quinoa are fully cooked (around 20 minutes). Cut the squash into cubes and chop the spinach;  add with the cheese and simmer an additional 3-5 minutes. Toast some bread and enjoy!

(I haven't tried this recipe in the slow-cooker yet, but I think it should adjust quite nicely.)

And now that I've told you about one of my new favorite soups, typed up the recipe, and looked at pictures of it, I have worked up an appetite for a big, steaming bowl of this delicious soup. Thankfully I have leftovers in my fridge...  [grin]

What are a few of your favorite things about autumn?

9 comments:

Annie said...

Oh, yummy. That looks delish!

Hannah Kilpatrick said...

Favorite things about Autumn?
harvesting root crops, having a bunch of yummy vegetables to cook with, beautiful leaves, cool weather, hoodies... too much to write down.

--Hannah

Alyssa Faith said...

That looks really tasty! Thanks for sharing it. Reading about your making soup brings back a memory of eating your beef stew at the Ehrenmans - it had nice big chunks of beef in it :)

One of my favorite things about autumn is the crisp clear air that makes the colors sparkle like jewels. That's on the aesthetic side - on the practical side (and this is going into winter) I like the 'free refrigeration' in our garage, being able to just pop in a hot dish to be kept cool for tomorrow and not worry about heating up the fridge or not having room for it. So convenient!

Alisha Ann said...

That looks absolutely delicious :D Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Blessings,
Alisha

www.alishainprogress.blogspot.com

Elizabeth said...

That looks amazing, Bethany. =) Thanks for sharing your yummy-looking recipes!

Samantha said...

Hi Bethany! I've been following your blog for quite awhile, but only now got up the courage to comment. LOL That soup looks very yummy and I have to tell you that Arianna is just a little doll!! You are very blessed!

BTW, You and your family are very known here! My younger sisters love the CD you guys did with the Mally's. They know just about every song by heart (and so do I!)

In Christ,
Samantha

Amanda said...

Favorite thing about Autumn: the gorgeous colors of the leaves and warm soup. :) (that one looks really good! I'll have to try making it.)

Aaron and Naomi said...

bright colors, smell of wood smoke, no bugs, pumpkin desserts, hayrides...I'm afraid I make soup all summer :)

Marshall Arts said...

Allison found this recipe last month, too, and it is DELISH!! Everyone we've served it to loves it and wants the recipe! BTW, your family and the Bontragers will be coming to San Antonio (finally) in January! We'll certainly miss seeing you, but life goes on, doesn't it, and it's wonderful to see you young people getting to the marriage altar in God-honoring and parent-honoring ways.

Love,
Mrs. Marshall