Friday, February 17, 2012

Yogurt

Pour two quarts of milk into a pan on the stove.

Over low heat, stir occasionally until milk reaches 180 degrees.

Remove from heat and let cool down to 110 degrees,
then whip in a couple tablespoons of yogurt starter.

(My family uses one lil' yoplait yogurt to make 2 gallons of yogurt, so technically, I should only need 1/4 of a container. But I tend to use between 1/4 and 1/2 for 2 quarts of milk. I'd rather error on the side of thick yogurt then have it turn out runny.)

Pour milk into jars, seal tightly and place in hot water (around 110 degrees) for 4 hours.

This is my lunch box/cool yogurt maker. It holds two quart jars perfectly, and seals tightly enough to keep the water warm enough during the four hours. When you pull the yogurt out of the water bath, it should be thick. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.

Serve it up for breakfast or pull it out for a snack with (my favorit-ist ever) granola or fruit!

Dan and I also like using yogurt to make smoothies with fruit.
(Okay, so Dan is actually the creator of the smoothies that are enjoyed at our house. He's the best smoothie maker EVER. no joke.)

I've also done a lil' experimenting with using yogurt in baking and it has turned out fabulous.

Hope you enjoy!

17 comments:

Hartman Family said...

Cool, i might try that!

goatpod2 said...

Yum! My Mom & I used to make goat milk yogurt.

Blessings,

Amy

Andrea Joy Maendel said...

Yeah! I'm planning on making yogurt in the next couple days or so, so this was just in time! I'm encouraged to hear that you use Yoplait. Other recipes I've read say only to use plain, unsweetened. This makes it easier to use whatever is around...

Lady Bibliophile said...

We've made yogurt for breakfast just like you show here, Bethany! We've managed to keep up the habit for the last year and a half now, and we just use the last 1/4 cup of one jar as starter for the next. And we eat it with granola too!

Kelley Fry said...

is the Yogurt starter simply Yoplait yogurt or do you have to add stuff to it?

Kaylee said...

My family makes our own yogurt, too!! :)

Anonymous said...

Yummy!! I just made yogurt today just like those instruction said! I've been making it allot ever since your family put it on awhile back! Yummy!

Bethany said...

Kelley -- I simply use the yoplait yogurt as a starter. Since it has live cultures in it, it is sufficient by itself (and makes the process super easy!)

Anonymous said...

yum mom just made this

A.B. said...

Great recipe...I just made it yesterday, and the yogurt turned out perfect! I'll definitely be sharing this with family and friends! Thanks so much for posting this and ending my search for an easy yogurt-making method! :)

Beth Ender said...

I have three gallons of my family's Jersey milk in my fridge right now; now would be the perfect time to try yogurt! Hannah always made it at home, so it will be a first time experience for me --- fun! =)

Desirae Clopper said...

I love yogurt, and remember reading about your family making it on their blog a while back! I'd like to try it sometime, too!! :)
Smoothies are a huge part of my family's life! We love to make them, and recently got a smoothie maker from my soon-to-be brother-in-law! :)

JoyfulJewels4Jesus said...

We love your family's yogurt recipe since Rachel posted in on the blog! It's extremely delicious and quite simple, too. I'm planning on making a batch today. =)

Blessings!!
Elizabeth

Janel said...

My husband is the smoothie maker here too! Mine just never quite measure up. :) So I gladly let him have the honors.

Ann said...

Bethany, how much hot water? To the top of the jars? Really want to try this this simple method!

Rebecca said...

Kaylee! I know you! Is that random or what?

Marjo.....B. said...

I love yogurt!
I wanted to pass on to you that when we make yogurt, we save the FIRST few Tablespoons from each batch after it has set, to use as starter for the next batch!
Of course sometimes our starter goes bad, and we have to buy yogurt from the store, but that rarely happens since we love making and eating yogurt!

Oh- and good idea to use the insulated bag (cooler) to put the jars in! I will definitely keep that in mind for when I have my own home someday. :) (Our family already went and bought a special yogurt thermos, but I'd utelize other things around the house. ;) )