Friday, February 10, 2012

New recipes

The last month I've enjoyed experimenting with several new recipes (and am always on the lookout for more to try!) Didn't someone once say that variety is the spice of life? Thankfully none of them were flops! [grin] Here's a lil' peek at the new recipes: (most of which are now in my recipe box to make again sometime!)

the cool thing about this dessert? it is delicious and uper easy to whip up for a quick splurge for only a few people. Dessert for two, anyone?


:: white chicken chili ::
this was a big hit and will definitely be made again...and again...and again. It gets even better because I can dump everything in the crock pot and let it cook and simmer and send delicious smells wafting through the house. [recipe coming soon]


:: baked oatmeal with strawberries ::
This is one of those recipes that was fun to try for variety , but I probably won't be making again. Dan and I both like baked oatmeal, but we agreed that the recipe I already have is much better and the fruit baked in the oatmeal wasn't a wonderful addition. And even though I adjusted the recipe to our preferences, it was still too sweet!


:: chocolate chip cookie brownies ::
I had an occasion to which I could bake and take these, (thankfully!) cuz' there is no way I'd leave them alone if they were hanging out in my kitchen all day! I left off the frosting and did a slight dusting of powdered sugar instead. Hm-mm-m. Much faster and easier. Oh -- and the original recipe calls for a brownie and cookie mix, but it works well to use your favorite recipes with this idea and make the doughs from scratch.

:: chicken, potatoes, & sausage ::
this recipe is also a keeper. Nutritious, hearty, and easy.
Get the ingredients together and throw them in a pan and let it all bake in the oven for an hour. Add a salad, veggie, or fruit and supper is served! (Next time I want to add some sweet potatoes to the mix as well. What are recipes for but to revise and change?)


:: caramelized grapefruit ::
this intrigued me. so I tried it. And was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed a warm grapefruit!
The recipe calls for a whole TABLESPOON of sugar per grapefruit half, (really? a whole tablespoon?) but since I still wanted to taste the grapefruit, I decreased the amount. A LOT. down to less than a teaspoon. And I'm sure it didn't caramelize as well as was intended, but I could actually eat it. and I enjoyed the sweet and tart treat. and then made it again before the week was over!


:: southwestern chicken salad ::
grill chicken with mexican/chipotle seasonings and throw it on a salad with black beans, corn, shredded cheese, tomatoes, avocado and dressing. A very fresh, hearty salad that I'll definitely be serving again!
(Just looking at this picture is making me hungry...)


:: glazed doughnut muffins ::
it snowed earlier this week! I didn't have time to make our traditional doughnut recipe, so I whipped up a small batch of these glazed muffins for a snack. Grab a glass a milk and a muffin warm from the oven -- makes a great addition to a cozy winter evening!

disclaimer:
none of the images in this post are mine. I didn't even take pictures of many of these delectable dishes that we've enjoyed, mainly due to computer complications and hunger. [smile]


What are some new or favorite recipes you've tried lately?

21 comments:

The Mulhearn Family said...

How do you cook like that and stay so slim? Seriously, HOW??????
Blessings, Carol

Kayla said...

I have a brother who can't eat chocolate right now due to medication, and it seems like everything I make revolves around chocolate...so I'm definitely making the doughnut muffins! Thanks for these recipes! Yummy!

Kelley Fry said...

"stealing" some of these and can't wait to make them!!!

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! Those pictures make me hungry!!;) You must be an awesome cook. Dan must be very lucky to have a wife like you!!;)
Best wishes!!!

goatpod2 said...

Sounds and looks delicious!

Blessings,

Amy

Karissa said...

Can't wait to try those doughnut muffins!! Thanks! I love looking at your blog!

JoyfulJewels4Jesus said...

How delicious, Bethany! Dan must be very blessed to have such a wonderful cook as a wife. [smile] My mouth is watering!! =) New recipes I've tried recently? Pretzel bites (recipe from Anna's blog) and a Rosemary Chicken Wild Rice Soup recipe. And I'm back into bread-baking again. Blessings!!

With Joy in Christ,
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for a good white chicken chili recipe, and making it in the crockpot is a plus! Can't wait for you to share!!
~Alyssa

Anonymous said...

Have you tried Kori's cake balls with the frosting stirred into the crumbled cake, then coated with chocolate? Very delicious! I am going to be trying some of your recipes. Thanks for posting them. Aunt D

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! I'm drooling!!!

Claire said...

Looking forward to the white chicken chilli recipe. It looks good, although here in Australia, chilli is a spice, so I'm interested to see what it tastes like!

Noelle said...

Ooooh, these look simply amazing, Bethany. Cooking is so awesome!!! :) I'm definitely going to have to try some of these!

Noelle said...

Ooooh, these look simply amazing, Bethany. Cooking is so awesome!!! :) I'm definitely going to have to try some of these!

Susan said...

I love the idea of the ice cream dessert in muffin tins. I have an ice cream "cake" recipe that I normally make in a pan, but I love the idea of making it in individual servings to take out as needed (or wanted)! And they're so cute!

Julianne said...

I love pinterest inspiration! :) I've been wanting to try that oreo dessert....but I cannot believe how much sugar was recommended for that grapefruit!! I'm on a big soup kick lately - love Pioneer Woman's Chicken Tortilla recipe!

Sarah Elisabeth said...

Can't wait for these recipes!! Especially the white chili!!!! Looks FAB and we have a family of 11 so: big bucket of soup + easy cooking in the crockpot = great!!

I raise rabbits so, we have lately been substituting the rabbit in for chicken... yum!

Also a new cake recipe called Old Fashioned Crumb Cake! YUM! But, it needs a bit of tweaking ... I do plan to make it again!

Loved the post!

Annah's Blog said...

Those look SO good!

One of the things we just tried, (and it turned out so yummy), was Coconut Ice. All it is made of is powdered sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and coconut. We made it for snacks at church and I heard a lot of good comments. I should post the recipe on my blog sometime soon.

~Annah~

Desirae Clopper said...

Those recipes look delicious! Especially the South Western Chicken Salad!! I have been experimenting with recipes , since I have food issues, and enjoy making tabbouleh. It's very yummy, and I can tweek the recipe to whatever I'm feeling like at the time.
That's for posting the recipes!

God Bless!

His Way Services said...

I like the Oreo dessert and the glazed doughnut muffins. They look so good. Lately, I've made decorated sugar cookies. Something I enjoy making pretty often is blueberry muffins.

Our Dad likes "Beckett's Surprise" (Unbaked Oatmeal Cookies).

God bless! Rebecca K.

Karissa said...

Any chance we could get the recipe for the White Chicken Chili real soon????? I need a slow-cooker soup recipe to take to a church soup event this weekend!!!!!!!

Marjo.....B. said...

You take beautiful pictures of food! (a rare talent, even in the world of photographers. :))

I also LOVE to cook! :) Thanks for sharing. I especially love the dinners/lunches/healthy foods you mentioned.