Tuesday, November 08, 2011

What happened...

when Dan headed off to a men's retreat for 24 hours last weekend?

My brain began spinning with ideas to redecorate our bedroom to surprise him. [smile]

I also wanted to keep it very low cost and not surprise with a stack of receipts from purchasing a host of new things!

To begin with, I had a colorful bedspread on hand that I'd picked up very inexpensively this summer. After looking at the colors I was working with, I scoured the house for other accents that would tie in. I also stopped by our local thrift store and picked up a few versatile decorative items.

The fresh look...

a few new things on the wall...

(Check this post to see a 'before' picture
which was taken shortly after moving to Virginia.)

the top of the dresser...

and last but definitely not least, the new pillow I made for the bed. (I think it was my favorite part of putting the room together!)

I'd never done a project like this by myself before; usually there are siblings around to be co-conspiritors! I'd arrange something, and then try it a different way, and then rearrange all the surfaces, and eventually come up with something I liked (without talking to myself for a second opinion -- lol!) For those wondering, Dan was very pleased and surprised. Hooray!

(Now to master keeping it cleaned on a day to day basis...)
smile

10 comments:

Rachel said...

*love* this!!! Such a pretty room! Excellent idea!

Talitha said...

It looks lovely, Bethany. We are enjoying remodeling and re-painting our house right now. A "new look" is always fun!

Julianne said...

This is really cute Bethany - what a great way to show that you can get a totally new look without having to spend alot of money!

Ruth W. said...

I absolutely love the pillow!:)The two decorations on the wall were really neat too. Love the new look all around.
-Ruth W.

Katy said...

Say! Isn't that a nifty pillow! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Nice! You are a great decorator.:):) I bet Dan was surprised!!!

JoyfulJewels4Jesus said...

Looks so lovely and cozy! The pillow is adorable, Bethany!! I'm sure Dan was very blessed by your beautiful, thrify re-do!

Blessings,
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

So pretty!! And I'm jealous--I saw that bedspread online somewhere last year or the year before and it was expensive. Boo. ;)

Morgan

Allie Dean said...

Your pillow is the perfect finishing touch! ♥

Mikala said...

It looks so homey and cosey, Bethany!!! :-) I can't wait to decorate my own home, and I do like some of your ideas.