Thursday, March 17, 2011

As requested

Buttermilk Bread
2 cups lukewarm water
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tablespoon yeast
1 1/2 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon honey
6 1/2 cups flour (I used a mixture of wheat, oatmeal and barley)

Mix the yeast, salt, and honey with the water and buttermilk. Mix in flour without kneading, using a spoon or a heavy-duty stand mixer with dough hook. If you're not using a machine, you may need to use wet hands to incorporate the last bit of flour. Cover (not airtight) and allow to rest at room temperature until the dough rises and collapses (or flattens on top), approximately 2 hours.

Lightly grease three 9x4x3 loaf pans. Dust the bread dough with flour, divide in thirds and quickly shape into balls by stretching the surface of the dough around to the bottom on all four sides, rotating the ball as you go. Elongate the ball into an oval.

Drop the dough into the prepared pan. You want to fill the pan slightly more than half full. Allow the dough to rise for 40 minutes. Place in preheated 350 degree oven. Bake the bread near the center of the oven for about 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from pan. Allow to cool completely before slicing as this is a very soft bread...

...and enjoy!

I found this recipe in a library book called Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day (and I really need to buy my own copy!) It is full of recipes and ideas! It shows you how to prepare bread dough and store it in the fridge for up to seven days -- which means you can have fresh bread all week with very little preparations!

Now I have my eye on a recipe called "Aunt Melissa's Granola Bread" using this granola recipe in the bread dough! Have any of you tried eating/baking granola bread before?

8 comments:

Bethany Joy said...

Mmmm...thanks for sharing the recipe! It looks so good! No, I have never made or heard of granola bread before.

Blessings, Bethany!
Bethany Joy

Sarah said...

Thank you for posting Bethany!! I will definitely try this on day!!

Sarah

Vickie said...

Hi Bethany!
I made homemade white bread
and homemade herb bread today.
I'm allergic to wheat, but the smell was intoxicating...hard to not try a little piece~~The things a mom does for her girls...Tiffany loves herb bread and she was coming home for a short visit tonight. :)
Take Care~And keep us posted with your good recipes.
:) Vickie

Anonymous said...

No, I've never had granola bread, but it sounds awesome!

chili pepper said...

Hi, Bethany.

I love this book. I have had it for about 2 years now, I think. I spent about 25 years perfecting the art of bread making and sure wish this book had been around when I first started! It makes artisan bread so easy. We always have several batches of dough in the fridge ready for a quick addition to dinner. The light wheat dough makes the best pizza crust ever! We have it for dinner every Friday night. No one in my family enjoys pizza out since we started using this crust recipe.

I saw on your profile that you and your husband were married on December 19th. My Allen and I were married on the 20th... a few more years before. ☺

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. We ended up settling on a cruise with a stop in Key West. With baby number 9 on the way this summer, hubby thought it would easier to go to the Keys for an extended stay with a baby next Spring than it would be to stay on a cruise ship with a baby. I didn't really have any preference so it all is good to me.

Have a great weekend,

Kat

Anonymous said...

Hi Bethany! I really want to find this book! It sounds good and I love trying any new baking recipe. A question: we grind our flour. Do you think fresh ground flour would work well in this recipe? Does the book talk about fresh ground flour? Just wondering. I think i will give this a try in the morning. Thanks so much! I always enjoy reading your blog! Emily A. in Virginia

Bethany said...

Emily, I use freshly ground flour and it turns out delicous. Hope it works for you as well!

Dawn said...

Oh thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I made this bread and my husband thought it was just wonderful!

In Christ,
Dawn