Monday, February 21, 2011

Stovetop Granola

Melt oil in saucepan over medium.
(I used coconut oil and it added a delicious flavor to the granola)

Photobucket

Add old-fashioned rolled oats to the pan and toast for 4 minutes.

Spread the oatmeal on a cookie sheet to cool.

Using the same pan, melt butter, molasses, honey, vanilla, and a lil' brown sugar -- if you'd like.
Stir constantly till well mixed and bubbly.

Add oatmeal and a cup of any other dried fruits, seeds or nuts that you might prefer. (Sadly, I didn't have any on hand when I tried this recipe, but it still turned out fabulous! I'm sure it is only enhanced with your choice of toppings!)
Cook and stir for another 4-5 minutes.

Then spread on a cookie sheet to cool.
If you like little clusters of granola, spread it out very loosely and don't over-handle.

Place in a 170 degree oven for a few minutes. Turn oven off and let granola rest for another 2-3 minutes before removing from oven. Let cool and store in an airtight container. This gave me a perfect granola! But if you like a softer granola, skip this step altogether. If you prefer it more crunchy, let it remain in the oven for a little longer -- but watch it closely as it harden while cooling.

And there you have it!

Serve it up with some fruit and yogurt --

and breakfast is ready!

The specifics:
1 tablespoon oil
2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon molasses
1 cup dried fruit and nuts

Hope you enjoy!

(For those of you who have requested this
bread recipe, hopefully I'll post it next week. I found the recipe in a library book and thought I had copied it before returning the book, but realized today that I hadn't! Oops! )

14 comments:

Heidi said...

This sounds and looks great! Think I'll have to give it a try!

Thanks for posting!
Heidi

Samantha R. said...

Thanks for the idea of using coconut oil; I'll definitely try that!
We like to add dried cranberries to our granola after it's done baking.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm! Looks delicious! Can't wait to try it! :)

Lily said...

Yum, that looks so good! We have our own granola recipe, but it's always good to have more than one. It may be something we will try! ;)

Kristi said...

I just read a blog earlier today that told how to make good granola, but it was kind of vague. I am so glad you posted this!

~Kristi

Sarah said...

I have been looking for new breakfast recipes to try so was happy to see this post! Thank you for sharing the recipe, Bethany! It looks delicious. :)

goatpod2 said...

Looks delicious!

Blessings,

Amy

Tricia said...

Looks yummy! This is off subject, but I wondered if you would mind if I contacted you by email. I'm sure you don't remember, but I've met you in Mt. Pleasant and Branson when you sang with your family. My 19 year old daughter is getting into "professional" photography and I had some questions for you. Thanks!

Desirae Clopper said...

Sounds like a easier recipe! I make a big batch of granola at least once a month, but do it in the oven, which takes close to 3 hrs probably until it's all done. A friend of mine had a stovetop granola recipe in out church cookbook. I've never tried it though, but it looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate how you make life look so beautiful in everything you do. You are truly an inspiration. May the Lord Bless you!

Liz Brown said...

We make it in the oven sometimes ... never heard of the stovetop variety :) It looks good.

Just-us said...

wow i haven't made granola in forever! i'll have to whip up a batch... this reminded me how yummy it is! :)
thanks for the inspiration!!
and have a wonderful weekend!
tell my siblings hi! :) lol

Aaron and Naomi said...

Hey, I made a batch of your granola this week - Turned out great :) I have a stove-top variety I usually make, but it's dry and my husband likes it a little more chewy...in the future, I'll probably combine the two - thanks for the great post :)

Grace Mally said...

Hey Bethany! Wanted to let you know I made this last night and it turned out great. :-)
It was exciting to see pictures of Andrew and Kori's wedding, and the most recent picture you posted is SO CUTE of Joanna.

God bless!
Grace