Friday, June 11, 2010

PaperBackSwap

I'm sure ya'll know already, but I am an avid bookworm.

Libraries, book sales, thrift stores...I'm always on the lookout for good books and how to get them inexpensively. And I ran across a website that enables me to do just that!

Trade Books for Free - PaperBack Swap.

You start out by adding 10 books to their system. Once you've added your 10 books, you'll get 2 free credits. And every time someone requests a book of yours and you mail it to them, you'll get another credit.

To keep your costs down, try to stick with listing lightweight books. And the more popular your book is, the more likely it will be requested -- which means another credit for you! Oh, and did I mention you can also earn credits by referring friends?! [smile]

In addition to listing books that I no longer want, sometimes I'll pick up 10 or 25 cent books at the thrift store (if they are in good condition and I know they are popular!) and add them to my list.

In regards to requesting books, what works best for me is adding books to my wish list (instead of looking through the books they currently offer) and then they'll send me an email notification when the books is available and I have 2 days to respond.

I've been able to get some excellent books by my favorite authors for next to nothing and have been impressed by how quickly I've received books I've requested.

How about you? What is your favorite resource for inexpensive books? Do any of you already use PaperBackSwap?

Trade Books for Free - PaperBack Swap.

13 comments:

Ashley said...

Another site is Swaptree. Works great, you just list books you have to swap and list books you'd like and you can trade it someone who has one you want.

Jenna said...

Thank you for sharing about that neat system...as my book collection grows a little, maybe I will start using the PaperBackSwap!

Thanks,
Jenna

Lesley said...

I was going to mention Swaptree too. It's another great place to swap books and music.

Misty said...

I already use PBS. BUT, I tend to use it only for books that are more expensive or heavy (like the ones I need for my Doula certification) because sometimes shipping the books can cost quite a few dollars and I use the numerous Amazon giftcards that I get each month from Swagbucks to buy cheaper books with no money out of my pocket. (which by the way, if you don't know about Swagbucks, it's just a search engine that literally pays you to use it. I've only been using it since middle of the middle of February and already got $50. Here's a link: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mborders0807

Simply Living said...

I love PaperBackSwap too!!!

Joanna said...

I've been using PaperBackSwap since December and love it. PBS has been a great way to swap books, especially ones that are expensive new or hard to find.

Kay said...

I love PBSwap and have used it to pass on those books I'm done reading. And of course, got some more to read.

Sveta said...

We use paper back swap! And love it. :)

I have awarded you with the Smile Award.

http://onlinewithsveta.blogspot.com/2010/06/smile-award.html

~Sveta

Anonymous said...

Usually, I get my used books from thrift stores and sometimes ebay or amazon has really good deals.
I just got Halley's Bible Handbook and a book about marriage by Dr. Dobson from a thrift store.
I love finding good books!
Blessings,
Kourtney

Anonymous said...

Hi Bethany,
I'm not sure how your area down there is, but I also love books and find alot on craigslist!!! Have a wonderfully blessed day! -Tiffany

Ranelle Del Belle said...

Hi Bethany, I would like to see what books you have up on PBS. I'm a member now.... :) Do you have a public profile set up? I like PBS to get rid of books I somehow got and never read & to get books required for my elementary education degree... it's pretty awesome.

~Anne~ said...

I love paperback swap! In fact I just mailed 2 books earlier today! =)
Here's my link. :) http://reading-rahel.paperbackswap.com/profile/

I'd like to "have a peep" at your bookshelf if you don't mind! :) How can we find you on there?

Marjo.....B. said...

Bethany! Thank you for telling me about this. I LOVE reading, too, and I'm excited about Paperback Swap! I signed up a while ago through your link; I hope you got a credit from it! :)
I have only listed 18 books so far, and only used one credit. But I know I will enjoy the club. I like looking for lightweight books to buy (for 25 cents, like you suggested), to list on the site!
I would love to have you as a friend on the site. It's fun to look at friend's wishlists, too.(who knows- maybe I'll come across a book YOU want at a booksale here in St. Louis someday. :))
My username is ''mazzou'' (Marjo B)

I've been LOVING your blog (and your family's) for a couple years now- thank you for the sweet example you give even just through your blog! :)

Have a blessed week- a sister in Christ, Marjo B.