Thursday, May 20, 2010

Q&A: Preserving Liberty

From Sarah H:
Being a youth under the voting age, I was wondering if you have any suggestions of ways we can help preserve our liberty? Prayer is definitely the most powerful, but do you have other ideas for just normal youth citizens?

I appreciated the advice from one of my readers: Study the constitution. Familiarize yourself with how the government works. Write letters.

So...where to start? I find that it is easy to have ideas and ambition, but too often it remains a lofty ideal -- and nothing ever happens. How does one break the big picture into little steps that actually make a difference?

An organization I am very excited about (and wish I'd gotten involved with in my teenage years!) is a division of HSLDA called "Generation Joshua." It was founded in 2003 by Mike Farris, Mike Smith, and the HSLDA Board of Trustees. It is designed for Christian youth between the ages of 11 and 19 with a goal to ignite a vision in young people to help America return to her foundations. They provide students with hands-on opportunities to implement that vision with online courses, GenJ clubs, and several other events.


Last weekend I worked a conference with Dan for HSLDA, and was so excited to have the opportunity to observe the Teen Tract that GenJ offered. I was very impressed with their leadership and how they got the youth excited to get involved.


To quote their website:
Generation Joshua exists to train this generation and equip them to posses the land and establish the principles began by the previous Moses Generation. Generation Joshua seeks to train the next generation of leaders by helping to elect godly leaders today...

As the Generation Joshua Program continues to grow, more conservative godly youth get involved in the political system making a real difference in our nation. The future of Generation Joshua will continue to be an exciting journey as the next generation shapes this nation and becomes tomorrow’s leaders.



Are any of you actively involved in preserving liberty in your local area? Have you written letters; made phone calls? Do you have stories, ideas, or advice that you could share with us?

9 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm in Gen-J, and it's great. In fact I won the photo contest last year! My older siblings have done a lot with voter registration and such with G-J.

Kiefer said...

Hello from Wyoming! :)

Just wanted to jump in and mention TeenPact (teenpact.com), an organization that has become a huge part of my life. They're much like GenJ, in that they give students a hands-on look at government, but their classes are a full week long and happen at the state capitol. We participate in mock legislature, hold mock elections, go on prayer walks around the capitol, and learn a whole lot while having a ton of fun. My favorite part of TeenPact is that it's actually staffed for the most part by students themselves.

My mom and I actually mentioned TeenPact to your family, Bethany, when they were here in Gillette a few weeks ago :) You may know some people who are involved with it -- I believe some of the Bontrager family has been in TeenPact at some point.

I would also encourage others to get involved with Political Action Committees in their states -- through a PAC here in Wyoming, I'll be volunteering on campaigns this summer and helping to elect godly statesmen and women to office. It's a great way to get involved that many people don't think about.

Haylee Shields said...

I also participated in TeenPact this year. It was my first time doing it, but I had tons of fun and learned lots of useful information. I am interested to look further into Generation Joshua as well. The more people we have who are stepping up and making a godly difference in politics and government the better!!

Kourtney said...

I have heard of Gen-J and TeenPact and they are both great organizations!
I would like to recommend the Leadership Institute.
Please, check them out at http://leadershipinstitute.org/.
They help train people in areas of campaigning, grassroots, fundraising, public speaking, etc..., by teaching schools/seminars around the country. Many of their schools are in Arlington, VA. Maybe you and Dan would be interested in going to a few of them.
It is really a great organization!
Blessings,
Kourtney

Sveta said...

I love your blog and have decided to award you with the Sunshine Award!

~Sveta

http://onlinewithsveta.blogspot.com/2010/05/ive-been-awarded.html

Anonymous said...

Do you get to be a stay-at-home homemaker Bethany?

Anonymous said...

Can you do a blog about why you chose courting over dating, why, how you went about it, etc? This could be a Q and A blog post maybe....

Anonymous said...

"Does you have any stories..."

Homeschooling at it's best.

Lulu said...

Hey~how are you doing? Well, I awarded you the Sunshine Award.