Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sen$ible Living

Are any of you looking for ways to save money and stretch a dollar?

I am! With taking over the grocery shopping and managing a home, sticking to our budget has been a fun challenge! Some have said our goals are unrealistic, another said it was impossible. However, by God's grace and mighty provision -- along with my husband's wisdom, diligence, and selflessness -- it looks like Dan will make it all the way through law-school, debt free! (Have I mentioned yet how incredible my man is?! He never ceases to amaze me!!)

But back to our topic of saving money... [smile]

As I've been trying to get more for less, a resource that has been extremely helpful is Money Saving Mom. A mother of three, Crystal has a never-ending source of tips about managing a home and stretching the budget. Not only are her posts very encouraging and challenging, but she often links to valuable coupons, as well as making her readers aware of free samples!

MoneySavingMom.com

To quote her blog:
Money Saving Mom is an upbeat and encouraging blog dedicated to helping you find great deals, stretch your hard-earned dollars, and live on less than you make so you can save more and give more.


Though I still feel like a beginner at this whole couponing thing, I'm excited with the deals I've been able to get -- combining big sales with coupons. Already I've saved over $50 in the last two months of grocery shopping, purchasing many household items and kitchen staples for less than a dollar, (as well as being able to get a few things free: contact solution, milk, cereal, and salad dressing!)


Most importantly, one of the things I appreciate about Crystal's blog is that she is a Christian wife and mother -- and her ultimate goal and challenge is that whether we are grocery shopping or using our finances to bless others, it is all about glorifying God and being wise stewards of what He has given us.

"Now it is required that those who have been given a trust
must prove faithful."
1 Corinthians 4:2

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for passing that on Bethany! I'll have to check that out!

Annie said...

Looks like you're doing a wonderful job, Bethany! Your home is so beautiful and I hear Dan loves your cooking! =)
Blessings,
~Annie~

Linda said...

It's great to shop at a store that has double coupon days, where they double the price on your coupon. We don't have a store like that around here though, but I bet you would have some.

Having to drive 50 miles one way for groceries, I have a long list of errands and do everything in that trip. I'm always looking at the grocery ads too.

Megan.Margaret said...

Wow! That is amazing that he can graduate debt free! Kudos to you both. :)

Btw, you might want to fix the link. It has blogger.com in front of it instead of just being http://moneysavingmom.com/

Caroline said...

Oh thank you so much for this Bethany! I prayed and prayed this morning that God would speak words of financial wisdom to me today (I need to get financially right with Him...I've fallen off track) and he has so graciously put two posts in my path, yours and one from "A Wise Woman Builds Her Home."
God bless you!
Caroline

Charity U said...

We love MSM. Especially the free samples. I love free stuff. (-: Highly recommended. And you might want to subscribe so that you get a daily e-mail telling about the deals. My mom really loves that.

Melanie said...

You are an excellent wife, Bethany. Dan is so blessed to have you! It's exciting that you can be debt going through school...not an easy task but soooo much better! Keep sharing frugal tips that you find helpful. It's very interesting and great to read about!

JoyfulJewels4Jesus said...

Yes, I agree--looks like you are doing a wonderful job! The website {Money Saving Mom} looks very neat...thanks for sharing!

Blessings, Bethany!
Joyfully in Jesus,
Elizabeth

Rosalie said...

I recently started couponing too. A local lady recommended getting the baseball card envelopes/clear sheets that you can put in a binder, and put your coupons in them. It's amazing how much more organized it is. I have mine organized by catagory, and just carry the binder in when I shop. I save a significant amount of money (family of 4) couponing. Good luck!

Samantha R. said...

I love Money Saving Mom and good job on saving so much already. May you be able to go through law school, debt free. I'm sure you can do it! :)

The Marshall Artists said...

As one wise man put it: "Debt is dumb, cash is king, and the payed off home mortgage is replacing the VMW as America's status symbol of choice!"

Good for you!!!

Allison