Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Gratitude

...unleashes the freedom to live content in the moment, rather than being anxious about the future or regretting the past.
-Ellen Vaughn

The grateful heart that springs forth in joy is not acquired in a moment; it is the fruit of a thousand choices.

Jesus gave Himself to God and to the world, not under coercion, but with gratitude. In giving thanks for the cup and the bread, then in giving the symbolic elements to His disciples, Jesus was saying in effect, "Yes, Father, I willingly surrender Myself to Your calling for My life, whatever the cost." He was grateful for the privilege of obeying His Father and of fulfilling the mission He had been sent to earth to complete.


"By Him
let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips,
giving thanks to His name."
Hebrews 13:15


Make it your goal to have a heart that's as grateful toward God as the abounding grace He has poured into your life.

-Excerpts from CHOOSING GRATITUDE
by Nancy Leigh DeMoss

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very insightful quotes. The first one was especially challenting. Great picture as well.

stacy said...

Thank you for that note. I needed to be reminded of that. I think we all get caught up in the should'ves and would'ves that we forget God is in control.

Sonya said...

Dear Bethany,
So true... I need to think about that more than I do. God is SO big and awesome, and we are rotten dirty sinners who need to accept His forgiveness & love.
Blessings,
Sonya
P.S. Very pretty picture as well!!

Megan.Margaret said...

Gorgeous picture! Where did you take it?

Annie said...

Oh, Bethany, what wonderful thoughts! I should look into that book...I'm always on the look-out for more encouraging books to add to my collection! :)
Joyfully in Christ,
~Annie~
P.S. Lovely photo, as well!

Erin said...

Very interesting excerpts :) I liked the first one the best. Pretty picture too.

Lily said...

That is very true Bethany--and did YOU take that photo? I know your photography is awesome, but this...wow. That picture is breathtaking!

Ruth Ann said...

Bethany, thank you. I needed to hear this!!

'...the fruit of a thousand choices.' I like that. =) It is SO true too, I know it!

Your post the other week 'a tour of our home' I saw this book on your bookshelf and added it to my 'wishlist' ~ I am SO glad you posted some excerpts; now I REALLY want to get it!

Love you!
Ruth Ann

~MINDY~ said...

very nice quote Bethany. I enjoyed it. I Hope it works out for you guys and Tabby to get together. I know she wants to see you. ~MINDY~

Kenna said...

Good post! Beautiful picture!