Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Prizewinning Photography #28


So after being gone for a week, completing 70 hours of photographic instruction time, taking 80+ pages of handwritten notes (and journaling a total of 18 pages) you can only imagine how hard it would be to sum up my time in Dallas, TX, in one little blog post. So I'm not even going to try!!

I learned so much about photography, and yet it was also so much more than that. Some nights I found myself asking the Lord "Did you allow me to attend this course to learn about photography? Or more about my heart and my relationship with You?!" I'm still not sure which I learned more about!

And thank you all so much for your prayers. I could definitely feel them! I am so blessed to have so many incredible blog readers, friends, and cheerleaders who keep pushing me on and encouraging me. May God bless you!

And now for a few random pictures...


the amazing instructors
(from left to right: John, Will, Katie, Mandy, and Rowan)

Enjoying the Dallas Arboretum with Deanna,
who was my room mate for the week.

Wednesday's location

Walking downtown Dallas, from one location shoot, to another!


On Friday afternoon they had an open forum where we could ask the instructors anything we wanted. And believe me, we did!!


Just one of my many assignments: a high contrast black and white picture.


Almost every day we had anywhere from 5-8 different assignments, and we usually only had 2 hours (sometimes less!) to complete them all. And when one has a time limit and an exposure limit, it really makes you think before pushing the shutter button...and scramble at the same time to fulfill all that is required! It was so much fun. Then in the evenings, we split up into small groups to have our photographs critiqued.

Fun photo competitions....a trip to Starbucks [my first time ever!]...a game of ultimate frisbee...making new friends...the fellowship...hearing stories about China...seeing who could come up with the most awkward pose ever...it was a very full week!

If you haven't checked it out yet, there are updates from fellow IPS students, as well as other prizewinning pictures from the week at the IPS archives. And if any of you are interested in photography, I highly recommend this course!! I am already trying to figure out way to fit a few of their other photography classes into my budget and schedule!! [smile]

Prizewinning Photography Class #28

28 comments:

Doogie J. said...

I am so glad you had a great time, and that you found time in your busy week to spend with Him. Don't doubt that this just one of the steps on the path that He is laid before you. God bless you...

--->AJ<--- said...

Congratulations Bethany! God has blessed you with a great talent. You take so many great pictures!

God bless you! AJ

Anonymous said...

That is so neat, Bethany! I'm so glad you had a good time! May God continue to lead and bless you. How wonderful He is to serve!
JConner Psalm 105:3

Johan said...

Congratulations! I hope you will share some things you learned next Fhoto Friday.

Abby Martin said...

Thanks for posting about your time, Bethany!! It was fun hearing about it! I don't know if that's something I would be up to doing though...it sounds like a lot of work and it may not be something I'd want to do right now, but maybe sometime in the future. :) Thanks for posting!

ladygreen said...

Hi Bethany!
It's great to have you back...
Hey, I'm tagging you (tag) to write a six word memoir about yourself. There are instructions on my blog and all...smile!

Gem said...

I enjoyed looking at the pictures and details so much! I'm glad you had such a great time... :)
Have a nice day!

Leah said...

Oh, what fun memories! That week will be one that I will never forget. ;) I am so grateful for the time that I was able to spend with you. =) Keep pracicing and always use your photography for His glory!! Love ya.

~Tori~ said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time! Beautiful pictures!

Lady Ruth Ann said...

Oh Bethany!! That sounds like a lot of fun, but most of all it is so great that interwoven in it all you were able to learn more about the Lord, and your relationship with Him grew stronger. That is the best part!! The pictures are so lovely, and tell stories on their own. It sounds very intense, but probably teaches a whole lot because you do know that you have a time limit, exposure limit (yikes!) and will be judged on them. Thank you for sharing - all the pictures are great! I especially like the picture of you & your roommate. :) Very cute. :) I'm so glad you had a great time - I was thinking about you bunches. Then I ended up being sick with the flu. :=( But I'm glad you had a great time...that was an awesome opportunity. Maybe if you do go to one of their other ones - maybe (!) I could go when you go. *grin*

Stephanie said...

All I can say is wow! Sounds like a full week indeed. I'm looking forward to seeing you apply all the things you learned in your photography.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post! Could you post your prize winning photo, please? Lord bless!
- Kourtney

Goldfish said...

Wow, that looks like so much fun (and exhaustion :). Glad you had such an awesome time. Sorry I haven't been commenting lately, just no time...

45 days!

Anonymous said...

starbucks and i have yet to meet!

Ben said...

sorry for the anonymosity, that was me.

Goldfish said...

Is there a special significance to the Canon/Nikon picture on the top? You won't turn into a Canonite, right? (They're almost as bad as Canaanites! ;)

Melanie said...

Wow Bethany! I can't wait to pick your brain when I see you this weekend and you can teach me everything!! or not..but I still want to hear all about it! :)

Fun stuff.

johan said...

Goldfish--
In the 1930s, Canon was known as Kwanon, who is the Buddhist goddess of mercy. It was later changed to Canon.

esther said...

Thank you so much for posting pictures and telling us a little bit. It sounds like you had a lot of fun. I don't know how well I could handle and exposure limit, but it would be a good experience.
I was excited to see all the Nikon cameras in the pictures you posted. :)
Praise the Lord that you are closer to Him through the experience. That makes it worthwhile!

Naomi Vande Hei said...

Wonderful Pictures Bethany!
I'm sure you had a great week and Learned a whole bunch!
as far a equipment goes, what would one need to bring to IPS? Esther and I are hoping to go this fall...so any advice would be helpful!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that it was even better than you thought it would be! Will you be sharing any of the things that you learned in your Foto Friday posts? And, out of curiousity, which was more popular? Canon? Or Nikon?

Dianna

The Bontrager Family Singers said...

Beautiful pictures Bethany! So happy to hear that you had a great time and learned so much! I can't wait to ask you all the questions I'm saving up...smile.
I would also be curious to hear which was more popular, Canon or Nikon? Did you have to have an SLR camera to go, or what kind of equipment did you have to have?
Love ya!
Chels

naomi said...

Hey, I was at the Dallas Arboretum about a month ago. That's so cool! I loved that precious little courtyard in the last picture. =) Glad you had a good time!

dak-juneau said...

Have a great time during your photography course and learn, learn, learn. You'll do fine. :-)

Oh, wait, you're already back! I guess the above was what I was supposed to post before you went. 80 pages of notes! (I hope you can read them.) I'm looking forward to some of what you learned in your Fhoto Friday posts.

I'm glad the fire ants in Texas didn't do you any harm. They eat the silicone sealant in the highway joints and underground phone cables you know.

Keep up your pursuit of photography Bethany and more importantly of our Lord and Savior.

Anonymous said...

And yet another person who would like to know which of the two cameras were the most popular. 'hint' ;)

abi said...

Looks like you had an incredible week, Bethany!!! I'm so excited for the opportunity the Lord gave you! You have such a gift, and I love watching how you honor, and glorify HIM with it! May He pour out His richest blessings...as you continue to seek Him! Love you!

Bethany said...

To answer the big question....

Canon cameras were the most popular at IPS -- but everyone knows that the best things are usually in the minority.

[grin]

Anonymous said...

You know, I've noticed that around where I live, most homeschoolers shoot with Canons, but I've met homeschoolers from other parts of the country who use Nikons. Maybe it is a regional thing? I use a Canon.