Monday, March 03, 2008

Extreme Refusal

"They begged and begged me, but I couldn't give it to them," said the man. "I know Christians are supposed to share, but I just couldn't part with it."

He sadly held out his hand so that his listener could see his prized possession.

"I really wanted to, but I couldn't. You see, people in North Korea told me that they have been praying for fifty years to get a Bible. But I didn't give them mine because I had been praying for twenty years, and I had just gotten it from a pastor in South Korea."

He sighed deeply as his mind went to the needy believers in North Korea desperately praying for one copy of the Bible. He hugged his Bible to his chest.

Bibles in North Korea are rare. Because of the opposition from the Communists, believers consider them more precious than gold. One man was beaten to death with an iron rod along the Chinese border when he was caught bringing Bibles into North Korea. Sadly, cases like this are reported over and over.

"I cannot forget those people," he said with a sigh. "I cannot forget the look of envy on their faces when I showed them my Bible. I feel so badly for them."

"These things are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name."

John 20:31

How differently might we treat our Bibles if we had to pray for over twenty years to get one?!

-Extreme Devotion by Voice of the Martyrs

14 comments:

Mayo family said...

Dear Bethany,
What can we say other than feel shame at we take this for granite, along with the freedom to serve and worship! Thank you for thought as a reality check! Amen. Imagine Jessica's expression that her Mom commented first {smile} it's was her birthday (yest} and she is gone w/ a friend. Our love to you & your family...keep up posting His truth's! God bless-Momma Mayo

Gem said...

I once read a book called "God's Smuggler" which treated about a man who smuggled Bibles into forbidden areas. It was really amazing.

Grace Mally said...

Hi Bethany!
Thank you for the great post and reminder to be interceding in prayer for our brothers and sisters in Christ who are suffering.
You are doing a great job with your blog - I always enjoy visiting!

Anne said...

How differently we would think about the privilege of going to church if we knew we could go to jail over it. Good thoughts to think on.

Bridgette Brenneman said...

Wow thats an awesome story!
(and i thought that i treasured my bible):)

Anonymous said...

I read "God's Smuggler" as well. However, my favourite book is "Judith" by Saloff-Astakhoff. It's about a Russian-Jew who was martyred for her faith. She died with her Bible in her hands. A very touching story.

abi said...

Wow! How easily we take for granted what we have every day! Thank you for sharing that. What a powerful picture of what others suffer for the cause of Christ! May we truly savor the word of God, applying it as He would have us too!

dak-juneau said...

Thank you for this post. It got me to thinking, I do take the ready availability of the Bible for granted.

And then I thought...if I was in a situation where my Bibles were gone and I couldn't get access to one... Do I really know all of God's Word the way I should? The answer I'm afraid, is no.

Lesley said...

Wow Bethany! It makes one realize just how much we take for granted! Our brothers and sisters in Christ all over the world suffer so much...it makes me stop and think, would I be willing to suffer as much for my Savior? Thank you so much for sharing that!
Prayers to you and your family!
~Lesley

Stephanie said...

Wow! That was a real blessing to me. I think I will have a new appreciation for my Bible. Thanks Bethany.

~Tori~ said...

Wow - what a thought! A Bible is such a precious treasure and we should treat it as such. Thanks for posting that! :-)

Jade S. said...

You've been tagged!!!
you can get the rules over at our blog:)

Blessings,
Jade

~*~Amy's musings~*~ said...

oh wow, bethany, this has made me think long and hard. thank you! in my devos i've been going over christ's death and the prelude up to it.... how many times have i read that i don't know, but i am thankful that i can!
have a blessed day!

Ricky said...

Astonishing reality... How blessed we are in the West with our freedom, and yet at times we don't seem to appreciate it. May the Lord help us realise the true value of his Word - may we feed from it as with our daily meal.