Saturday, February 02, 2008

More love to Thee

You cannot prove to yourself that you love God by examining your feelings toward Him. They are indefinite and they fluctuate. But just as far as you obey Him, just so far, depend on it -- you love Him.

Why do you try to do what you think will please Him? Because it is easy? Because you like to do what He likes rather than what you like yourself? It is not natural to us sinful, ungrateful human beings to prefer His pleasure to our own, or to follow His way instead of our own way, and nothing, nothing but love to Him can or does make us obedient to Him.

-from Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss

9 comments:

Abby Martin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abby Martin said...

Thank you for posting that, Bethany! That was a real encouragement for me to hear...thanks. :)

Sara N. Smith said...

I loved that photo - absolutely gorgeous!!!

Anonymous said...

So true! Thanks for the encouragement, Bethany. I wish more people would talk about obedience instead of feelings. My emotions are nothing to be trusted. But God is so trust worthy!
Amber

Stephanie said...

Amen! Thank-you for the encouragement.

Alisha said...

Bethany,
I found your blog through some friends I love your pictures and your ability to "capture the moment" Do you mind if I add you to my list of friends.

abi said...

That is SO excellent! And what a stunning picture! I just love how you capture such simple moments, and make them so profound! :) Thank you for being a blessing. I love you, and miss you a lot!!

Snapped-It said...

Hey Bethany.....I was just wondering what flash you have?

Bethany said...

Alisha -- feel free to!

Seth -- I have a Nikon SB-800 attachable flash. I love it!