Monday, January 28, 2008

Designed with a purpose:

God's eternal purposes and plans are far more important than the things that fill our vision and consume our thinking...often paling in significance when I remember that "It's not about me; it's all about Him."

Before we can respond in a godly way to the circumstances of life, we must first settle this basic issue: What is my purpose in life? If our goal in life is to be happy or accepted or loved, then anything that threatens our well-being will be an enemy -- an obstacle to fulfilling our objective.

On the other hand, once we agree with God that we exist for His pleasure and His glory, we can accept whatever comes into our lives as part of His sovereign will and purpose. We will not resent, resist, or reject the "hard things," but embrace them as friends, sovereignly designed by God to make us like Jesus and to bring glory to Himself.

We will be able to look into His face and say, "It's not about me. It's about You. If it pleases You, it pleases me. All that matters is that You are glorified."

-- Nancy Leigh DeMoss in Lies Women Believe


"By Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible... All things were created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things consist."
Colossians 1:16-17

9 comments:

Cheri said...

Oh that is good!!! It seems to throw out all human pre-conceived thougts and notions...

Thankyou for sharing that!

Sara N. Smith said...

What a wonderful post! So very true! "Embrace the hard things as friends"....that is sometimes so hard but that is where the true blessing lies!
Thank you!

Karen said...

Hey, just thought I'd drop a note to say HI and that it was good to meet ya'll over the weekend!! BLessings!!

oneofthebunch said...

It it funny that you are blogging about purpose today...

I just passed the "Blogging For A Purpose" award to you! You can get the graphic off of my blog.

Thanks!
~@~Courtney~@~

Stephanie said...

You sure make me think Bethany. All of your quotes are so challenging. Thanks for posting. :)

Anonymous said...

How true. I am thankful for the post on purpose for today. Thank-you for sharing that.

miss--me said...

So very true!!!

jenifer duarte said...

Hmmm...what a thought to reflect on. I like all the quotes you post. And interesting enough, we just got that book this week (!) and I will be reading it as soon as Mom is done:-)

The Lord Bless You!

abi said...

What powerful, challenging truths! Once again, your blog has been a blessing, and ministered to my heart...reafirming what I know in my head, but needing to apply to my heart. Thank you, dear Bethany for being sensitive to the voice of the LORD! I LOVE YOU!