Friday, December 14, 2007

As requested

Grandma's Donuts

1 1/2 cups scalded milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup mashed potatoes
1 tablespoon yeast
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1 teaspoon salt
4 1/2 - 5 1/2 cups flour

After scalding the milk, add in sugar, butter, mashed potatoes, salt and nutmeg; blend well. When cooled to lukewarm, add the yeast (which has first been dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water). Add in the flour, knead for 7-9 minutes. Let raise until doubled in size, then punch down and let rise again.

After rolling the dough out to 1/4-1/2 inch thick, cut donuts out. Let raise. Putting the upper, dry side in first, fry in oil heated to 400 degrees, flipping them as they turn golden brown. Drain, drop into a frosting glaze, and enjoy!

14 comments:

Lady Ruth Ann said...

oh goody!! I almost can't believe my eyes...now we'll have to really do it! :) thank you SO MUCH!

Under Southern Skies said...

Oh, I LOVE donuts. Thanks so much for the recipe, they look so delicious!

A HEART OF PRAISE said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe! I definitely want to try these! :)

DUSTYNNE said...

Those look delicious! I plan on making those really soon! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! I can't believe they have mashed potatos in them: )

Anonymous said...

Where's the nutmeg? How much?

The Fleming Family said...

Oh! Thank you, Bethany! My family and I have hungerly enjoyed the pics of those beautiful donuts...and now we can finally try them ourselves! Kudos to your Grandma! :-)

Bethany said...

Sorry about excluding the nutmeg!

You put one teaspoon in with the potato/milk mixture... :)

*~cici~* said...

SWEET!!!!! I'm soooo glad you posted the recipe! thank you so much!

--a reader from oregon :c)

Anonymous said...

What did you use for the glaze?
They are so good! Thanks for posting!

Bethany said...

Thank you so much for the wonderful recipe! I made these today and they are excellent!
http://bethany.preciousinfants.com/2008/01/12/doughnuts.aspx

(Another Bethany :) )

Tania said...

These are so good!! I made them today and we are all having to keep ourselves from eating them in one setting. (-:

Anonymous said...

Those look delicious. I'll try to make them next time we make doughnuts.
Kimberly.

mamamarianne said...

Is the mashed potatoes the dry stuff or prepared mashed potatoes.