Wednesday, November 07, 2007

All in a day's travel:

Stepping inside the Martin guitar factory in Nazareth, Pennsylvania -- where they handcraft over 80,000 guitars annually.

Pictures are allowed on tours (or else the post would end here!) but no flashes were permitted -- which added just a few challenges.



They definitely have some complicated, high-tech equipment, but I was surprised to find that they also used household items: clothes pins and masking tape!









3-6 months later, the guitar is completed:
ready for the showroom or to sell!



After the tour of the factory, they had a small museum where one could read the history of the Martin family and the evolution of the modern day guitar.

I had to smile at this story -- never give up!

Family owned and operated for 6 generations, the most recent grandchild was still named with the initials 'C. F.' to carry on the Martin family tradition!

As our family owns 3 Martin guitars, it was incredibly fascinating to see the craftsmanship involved in each instrument -- and I wholeheartedly recommend the tour if any of you are ever in the area!! If nothing else, it sure gives one a bigger appreciation for the price tags that hang on those things. [grin]

13 comments:

ben said...

This was neat! Thanks for that tantalizing sample-of-a-tour.

Anonymous said...

Wow Bethany!! You impress me with your God-given talent. We definitely need some tips if you could take such superb pictures without a flash!! Well done...thanks for sharing. I have a hard time taking balanced pictures sometime even when I can use a flash!! Oh well...there is plenty to learn!!

~ Ruth Ann

Anne said...

I live within a half-hour's drive of Nazareth but I've never made it here before... perhaps I'll just have to visit now:o).

Jacob said...

I don't think I'll ever appreciate the price tag on one of those things. :b

Esther said...

Thanks so much for the photo tour! I love behind the scenes in instrument making!
I'll have to stop when we head out there to visit my brother!
I have lately been thinking a lot about guitars (thankfully not purchasing one) because my family is starting a bluegrass band. :)

BrittLeigh said...

wow, now that IS fascinating!!!! What cool pictures :). Clothespins and masking tape... wow.... I should go into the guitar business :) LOL

Jenny said...

Very cool!

Yes, thank you for the inside look! I bet they were just as happy to hear how you were putting their product to use.

Sara N. Smith said...

What a great field trip! And the pictures were still wonderful - even without the flash! :)

Snapped-It said...

I really like the one of the man working!

That is so cool! we'll have to go there sometime!

So Im not the only one using clothes pins and masking tape! :) I use them making dulcimers.

abi said...

That is SO neat! I completely recognize with your comment on the price tags. After I had the Lyon and Healy tour in Chicago I thought the same thing! ;) You did an incrediable job capturing the moments without a flash...WOW! Sure do miss you, dear Bethany! One question?? What's the cure for me back here who's 'homesick' to see you--when seeing YOU is so far away?!!? [grin] Love and hugs!!

Stephanie said...

Those photos are amazing. I definitely think it would be a wonderful place to visit.

Happymama said...

Gotta love those Martin Guitars! Hubby certainly loves his. I'll be showing him this post. He's been in the process of making a mandolin so he'll be thrilled to see the clothespins and masking tape. LOL

~Kristi

Jessica said...

Great pictures!! Looks like a neat place to visit. :)