Friday, September 21, 2007

Psalms 119:23

"I will never forget Your precepts,
For by them You have given me life."


This week I pulled out some fabric scraps to sew myself a new Bible cover. The old one was wearing thin and ragged; a new one was long past due! But as I was busy sewing a new cover for the outside, I couldn't help but ponder the wealth in the inside. What a treasure we have in God's Word, yet how easily it is neglected or taken for granted.

God's Word can only bear fruit in our lives if we sow it there, taking the time to read and meditate upon it. The more I am in God's Word, the more I need it. No, wait -- the more I realize my need for its life changing work in me! The need never changes.



"Make me understand the way of Your precepts; So shall I meditate on Your wondrous works."
Psalms 119:27

The vigour of our spiritual life will be in exact proportion to the place held by the Bible in our life and thoughts.
George Mueller

"I will delight myself in thy statutes."
Psalms 119:16

The secret of my success? It is simple. It is found in the Bible, 'In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths.
George Washington Carver

"Open my eyes, that I may see wondrous things from Your law."
Psalms 119:18

The Scriptures were not given to increase our knowledge but to change our lives.
D.L Moody
"I cling to Your testimonies." Psalms 119:31

The Holy Scriptures tell us what we could never learn any other way: they tell us what we are, who we are, how we got here, why we are here, and what we are required to do while we remain here.
A.W. Tozer

"Incline my heart to Your testimonies...Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things. Revive me in Your way. Establish Your word to Your servant."
Psalms 119:36-38

12 comments:

Rachel Marie said...

Beautiful, Bethany.
Excellent thoughts, and verses.

Thy testimonies have I taken for an heritage forever, for they are the rejoicing of my heart." Psalm 119:111
:)

Thank you also for your sweet, sweet email tonight! What a pleasant surprise!!!
The Lord bless you!

BrittLeigh said...

Wow. I agree with Miss Flowergurl there.... What a beautiful post! Very creative sewing there too! I've never made a Bible cover, and I'm totally impressed with your results :D. Good job!!

Goldfish said...

Woah (sp?), that's weird, I just used the quote by George Washington Carver this past week. :)

Excellent quotes and thoughts, Bethany!!

Anonymous said...

Bravo Bethany! Thanks SO MUCH for sharing...I love the quotes you shared and the Scripture. Definitely a lot to chew on, and what God has also been teaching me lately.
On an aside note...did you make up the pattern for your Bible cover or could you post where you got it from? I love your blog and am so encouraged by what you post! Right now I'm listening to your CD 'I am Your Shield' - it's beautiful.
In Christ, Ruth Ann

Andrea said...

Amen! Those are so challenging!

The vigor of our spiritual life will be in exact proportion to the place held by the Bible in our life and thoughts.

That reminds of a quote by a favorite preacher, Keith Daniel. What you do with the Bible determines what God will do with you.

Thank you for sharing!!

Jacob said...

Thanks for sharing those great Scriptures. And I didn't realize (or maybe remember) that George Washington Carver had such a clear testimony.

An excellent medidation!

Peace. --Jacob

Anonymous said...

Great quotes and verses! God bless

Heather said...

Thank you for sharing those 'nuggets of truth'!

Anonymous said...

Oh Bethany!

What a blessing your blog has been again! It is a treasure to read what the Lord is showing you--thank you!

I was especially touched by the A.W Tozer guote. God's word will never fail, and never pass away. What a blessed promise! What a blessed hope!

I love you, sister! Miss you too!

DUSTYNNE said...

Such a beautiful post! Thanks so much, Bethany! God's Word really is SO valuable, and can help us so much, although a lot of times we don't see it, or think we can do it our own way.

Anonymous said...

Another beautiful post! And a beautiful Bible cover! Wow, you sure are talented! :)

Jessica said...

The new Bible cover is very nice!!