Saturday, September 08, 2007

Poured out

Isn't it amazing what pictures can be conveyed using words?

"Pour out your heart
like water
before the face of the Lord."
Lamentations 2:19

What comes to your mind after reading this verse?

For me -- if I pour water out, I can't gather it up again, nor claim it as my own. I have given it up; surrendered it over. It's simple: it is not expected back. Grasping at the little drops to reclaim them doesn't accomplish us anything; it only gives one frustration.

If I pour out my heart like water before the Lord, I can't take it back nor call it my own. It is His to use and transform as He sees fit.

"..You are not your own."
1 Corinthians 6:19

9 comments:

Sara Campbell said...

AMEN! Oh Bethany, I love that! Thank you for using your talents to serve and bless others. :)

Rachel Marie said...

AMEN!!!

Goldfish said...

WOW! What a beautiful picture! Oh, how I long to see waterfalls...[sigh] Loved your reflection on the Scripture, BTW.

Dustynne said...

What an amazing thing! Very, very good! And that is a gorgeous, gorgeous picture. It also brings to mind for me that the water is so selfless and "un-selfconcious" that it just totally pours itself out without any thought as to how it looks or what people must be thinking of it...and that is how God wants us to be for HIM. He wants us to totally "pour our hearts out" to Him and so He can heal us and bless us.

Thanks!!!

Bryant said...

I never thought about it like that! Great analogy, thank you!

BrittLeigh said...

Wow, I really do love that analogy. I never thought of it that way before... and the picture you posted to go along with it totally drives your point home! Thanks so much for sharing this... It's so timely for my own life.

(((HUGS)))

Jacob said...

To me, it means to forget my distant, constrained, ritualistic, mindset about prayer, and just open myself, and speak freely to the Lord from my heart.

Thanks for sharing this great verse!

Peace. --Jacob

abi said...

Bethany, you put that so simply-- and yet so profoundly! Thank you for the challenge and encouragement! I love you!!

Kaylene said...

beautiful thoughts Bethany. And the picture!!! ::I'm speechless::
God bless you, and thank you so much for your well wishes for my upcoming trip.