Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The reason for my absence

...from the blogging world -- except for a few random posts lately -- can be quite easily explained. (Or is it just me that has noticed I haven't done much blogging this month?!)

...piles of scrap fabric...
...literally hundreds of little two inch squares...
...pins galore...
...patience to match corners...and more corners...
all adds up to the beginnings of a Scrappy Irish Chain Quilt.

The moment I saw the pattern, I knew I wanted to make one. We have (excuse me, had) an over-flowing box of scraps of material from "I remember when we wore these singing outfits", or "this is material from the first dress I ever sewed", to "that fabric is in my quilt"; the list goes on and on of all the memories we have in fabric scraps. Then a few months ago we were given tubs and tubs of material: cute prints, old prints, bright prints, ugly prints, dark prints, plaids, dots, floral, stripes, pink, green, blue, red, brown, yellow, (and who knows what else!) all begging to be used.

In my spare moments I've been grabbing time to pin here and sew there, and it is slowly coming together. Yay for fabric scraps, sewing machines, and the ultimate scrap pattern ever!

13 comments:

Andrea said...

Fun!!! That will certainly be a quilt to treasure!!!

Jacob said...

It's not just you! I've noticed that your blog has been strangely quiet. Will start picking up again soon?

--Jacob

Liz Brown said...

That's a very pretty way of using up scrap fabric :) And a very good reason for not blogging as much ... I always appreciate how productive you and your family are!

Rachel Marie said...

Wow, Bethany! :D That pattern is so familiar!!! ;) ;) ;)

Way to go! :) I can't wait to see what it looks like as progress moves along...! :)

A HEART OF PRAISE said...

What a pretty pattern! And it definitely would be a good way to use fabric scraps! I'm kind of "quilted out" after just finishing the baby blanket I was making. :) But it was nothing compared to a full size quilt. :)

Christina said...

I noticed! I noticed!

Right now my sister and I are trying to use up all of our denim scraps and make comforters for some friends of ours. Unfortantly I am also workign at the farm a lot these days so it is not coming along very quickly.

Christina

Margaret Neufeld said...

I'm sure it's going to look amazing so take your time with it and with not much more than a sniff or two, we'll try and be understanding. God bless and have fun!

Suzanne said...

It sounds like the quilt is going to be beautiful and unique. Although I don't have any scrap fabric setting around to remind me of memories, I like to do the same thing with Christmas ornaments every year. Sorting through them can bring back so many memories.

BrittLeigh said...

Now that sounds like my kind of project!!! I sure can't wait to see the end (and very beautiful!) result. Quilts are so much fun, aren't they?? :) Thanks for filling us in on why you're so quiet these days :)

(((((HUG)))))) since I haven't given you one yet today ;)

Anonymous said...

Yes those! I just finished the top of a double Irish chain quilt for my Aunts wedding. It is a big job especially while making matching outfits for ones entire family! Good job Bethany! It is a "large undertaking"

Hillary Hipps

Happymama said...

Can't wait to see the finished product!

~Kristi

abi said...

Bethany,

I can't wait to see! You are completely excused from your absence...atleast if it was up to me, you are! :) Keep up the good work!!

Love you,
Abi

Elaine said...

I'd love to see your quilt when your done!