Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Little screws and a big prayer

"My God is so BIG.
So strong and so mighty there's nothing my God cannot do..."




Several weeks ago I ordered a bracket and a few other accessories that I need for a wedding I will be photographing this fall. It was with much excitement that I received the package and opened it up. But much to my dismay, they had included everything but the screws! Somehow they had gotten left out. Now I have the problem of having all this fancy equipment to use and no screws that I might put it together and begin using it.

I began making phone calls this afternoon, and the company I had ordered from directed me to the sub-company that manufactures the particular bracket I ordered. Yes -- they'd ship the screws out at their cost, but if I wanted them to be here before our family leaves on a trip this Saturday, I'd have to pay the extra for priority mail.

Not wanting the extra hassle (yet wanting them very badly for this next trip!) I told him to go ahead and ship them normal mail. After saying goodbye and hanging up the phone, I said a quick prayer of "Lord, if there is any possible way, please let them get here before we leave on Saturday" then continued my daily chores.

I just now received an e-mail (through our family's ministry web page) from the man I talked on the phone with:

This message is for Bethany - I am not sure if you are the one that called about the screws not being in your bracket box but if so I wanted you to know that I shipped them to you today by priority mail. I know that I was not suppose to do that but something - now I know what it was - told me to send them to you so you would have them for your trip...

God bless you and your family as it looks like He already has. I have a son who is a Baptist preacher... Hope you and your family have a nice trip.



If you can't guess, I am ecstatic! I never would have guessed that God would answer my prayer so fast in such an amazing way!

The little screws are on there way, and my God is bigger than ever. Some might say it is just 'coincidental.' But I know better than that. I know where the glory is due.

My God is real. My God is big.

He takes down the walls of Jericho, even though they are big and tall.
He shuts the lions mouth's, especially when they try harming someone He delights in.
He sends a rainbow after the storm.
He sends me my screws when it isn't supposed to happen.


"Behold, the Lord's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save;
Nor His ear heavy, that it cannot hear."
Isaiah 59:1

19 comments:

Andrea said...

Wow!!!! God is awesome!! What an amazing answer to prayer, and what an incredible God we serve!! I'm so excited for you, Bethany!!

((Hugs!))

Doogie J. said...

God gives us the desires of our hearts, even when they are little screws. As you know, the important thing to Him wasn't the screws, or that you wanted them, but that you turned to Him for your answer. Even more important was that you asked "if it is possible" and were then willing to accept His answer, even if it was "no". The answer you received was His way of saying, "Bethany, well done!" Thanks for sharing.

~AliisaJoy~ said...

What an incredible testimony!! Isn't it soo cool how we can just rest in Him, and not have to worry about ANYTHING, no matter how "small" it may seem. I am learning that more and more - TRUST HIM!! How encouraging.

~Dustynne Noelle said...

Aw Bethany, that was so encouraging to me right now. Beautiful post!
So sad some of you have the measles...we were going to be there at Black River Falls tomorrow! ;( ;( ;(
I'm so sad! Well, hopefully we'll see you soon. :( :)
Blessings and hope ya'll feel better!

Dustynne

Esther said...

Praise God! That story is amazing! Don't you love it when you leave things up to God and then he surprises you?

A HEART OF PRAISE said...

How awesome! It is so wonderful to know that our great,Infinite Lord hears us when we pray! Praise His Name! Thank you so much for sharing.

gandelr said...

I am always in ahhhhhh
of his attention to the little things
we all are bless

Christina said...

Bethany,

Cna I have your thoughts on the class you have been taking through the New York Institute of Photography? If you could email me...I'd really appreciate it.

Oh and I have to take engagement portraits for my class. I think I am going to take them tonight. Pray for me please!

Thanks so much,

Christina

Anonymous said...

Wow--praise the Lord! That's wonderful, Bethany! Thanks for sharing. :)

Morgan

BrittLeigh said...

Aw, that is such a sweet post. I just love it when God blesses us, answers our desires, even when He doesn't *have* to. How great is our God!?

Stephanie said...

Praise God! Thanks for reminding me that our God is so big, yet He cares even about the 'little things!'

abi said...

What a testimony of our Heavenly Father's lovingkindness! We serve such an awesome GOD!!

Love you,
Abi :)

Gem said...

Wow, this post was amazing!! How wonderful is our God...! I'm so glad you're going to get your screws on time...
Praise Him!!

Happymama said...

Thanks for sharing your blessing with us. Something as small as a couple of screws and He still takes the time to bless His child.

~Kristi

Anonymous said...

I like your comment "my God is real, my God is big." I think we have a tendency to want to put God into our little religious "boxes." It can't be done. Perhaps we're a little frightened of something so enormous we'll never comprehend it all.

Hope you get your camera operating the way you want. A couple friends of mine used to back up all their important wedding shots with a second camera in case something went wrong with the first. Just an idea - fwiw.

I like your last post. A wonderful message not only for young people, but also us older ones. And the picture with the color against the b/w background is really nice.

Maybe you'll see a friendly smile over labor day weekend.

your anonymous OTF,
Richard

Claire said...

Beautiful! These seemingly "little" things can be the most beautiful times of seeing His Hand, can't they? The times when our Lord has reached out and done the same for me are always so strengthening! Thanks so much for sharing.

By the way, I don't know if I've ever commented before, but I found you blog a while back, "lost" it, and found it again recently (it's now added to my bloglines, so no danger of "losing" it again) ;). It's beautiful! You are an inspiration.

Your sister in Christ,
Claire

two from the pew said...

Hey Bethany, great name, it sure was fun to see how God moved again in a special way. We are just excited for you. It's a good thing you didn't have them a couple of weeks ago for anonymous reasons. There really were to many pictures take as it was. :) Thanks for sharing that testimony with us though. We are celebrating with you.

Grace said...

Amen!!! What an awesome God we serve! Even in the small things He is gracious!

Thanks for the encouragement and example of trusting faith.

Greatly enjoy watching your site again(we moved only a couple months ago so getting back into blogs has been slow).

I really enjoy your quote selections! Where do you get them from?

God bless

Grace (if you remember me from the martyr party you came to a couple years ago in Michigan)

JoyAnn said...

Wow, I love your story!
Isn't God wonderful to answer the little things?
It makes us feel precious in His site! (which we are He says but sometimes all can use the boost).
I found your site on Aliisa's blog.
am the oldest of 14 soon 15!
JoAnn