Saturday, August 25, 2007

Beholding His Glory

As some of my family and I went into prison again last night, it was with prayerful anticipation to see what God would do. And as I think over it again, I'm not really sure what to say! How does one describe the joy of prison ministry? I think it is one of those things impossible for me to convey in words...a person almost has to experience it to know.

When sharing in our services, Dad often time uses the story of that Jesus told of the two debtors, the conclusion of the parable being that he who is forgiven much, loves much.

That passage of scripture often comes to mind as we minister in prisons. Those in prison that have been redeemed by the blood of the Lamb have such a "shoutin' victory" love for their Lord, that is unmatched by many.

Going into the prisons to minister is so humbling. Realizing that I could be in their shoes -- for I am a sinner, too. The men and women in prison are just like me, only a little more so. It is only by the grace of God that I am the ministering, and not being ministered to in like state. And what privilege it was to rejoice with the angels in heaven over a few more souls that had their names written down in that Lamb's book of Life.

Even though we were walking out of a prison last night, I couldn't help but say with the psalmist:


"Lord, I have loved the habitation of Your house,

And the place where Your glory dwells."

-Psalms 26:8

6 comments:

BrittLeigh said...

Wow. I love how the Lord's glory is manifested in ways we don't normally expect and in places we don't normally look. I love that His presence is not limited to the confines of majestic cathedrals, or gatherings of perfect saints... I love that He uses ordinary people to shine His light and spread His glory... and that the prisoners can be set free even while still in chains.

Thanks so much for this precious post. I was thinking about you last night... in the midst of enjoying the thrills of a large group of family, friends, neighbors, and lots of fun, I thought of you...... and just knew that even though you couldn't be with us you were having a glorious time.

((((HUGS)))))

Jacob said...

Thanks for sharing this. Praise the Lord for salvation!

--Jacob

abi said...

Bethany,

Thank you for this humbling, yet captivating post! Praise God for the souls He chose to draw unto Himself, through you all. Your verse at the end was a blessing--thank you, thank you for sharing!!

I love you, and miss you!

Gem said...

I rejoice with you! It'¡s so beautiful to know that a soul has been saved... it must be an unforgettable expierence to visit a prison.

Ricky said...

I'm Ricky, Gem's older cousin. I just loved reading this, it has been a great blessing and encouragement. May the Lord keep using us to win souls for Him, He who loved and suffered for us! My blog is www.rickysranch.blogspot.com, a very recent one. Lots of love in the Lord, and be sure I'll keep on praying for your ministry!

A HEART OF PRAISE said...

It's encouraging to hear about your families ministry! I think sometimes we forget about people in prison. I know it's like you said, that we ourselves could have been in a place like that, if it were not for the Grace of God. Praise the Lord for His wonderful glorious Salvation! I know that the Lord can and does save prisoners. Daddy is a Correctional Officer so he interacts with prisoners every day, and he knows of several Christian prisoners himself. :)

Thanks for sharing! :)