Friday, June 22, 2007

Surprise!

A kitchen makeover! As my sister said on our family blog -- we love surprising Dad and Mom while they are out. This time, our kitchen was in BAD need of paint and re-decoration, the only problem being we had roughly 28 hours...what can be done in 28 hours? I guess we found out!

We pulled a marathon, including a very short night which enabled us to get as many useful hours as we possibly could. Cornflakes and burritos were the 'grab-n-go' staples as we worked and time passed rapidly.

Rachel posted all the details of how it was done. Great smiles, a lot of elbow grease, and fun pictures! She is letting me post pictures of the 'finished project'...


This was Rachel and my favorite project. It used to be three solid cupboards, painted a creamy white (which had gotten very dirty with wear and tear.) We painted the insets with creamy yellow, then carefully pulled the doors off the top cabinet. While decorating the top shelf, we watched in amazement as it totally opened up the room and gave it a much warmer feeling.

Fun, eh?!

Fresh flowers for a special touch....

scripture on the wall...

accents on the fridge...

... new light fixtures and everything!
(Curtains coming soon -- as quickly as they can be cut and sewn!)

The smell of paint still lingers in the air, but I know that will disappear in good time.

So now ya'll should just come on over and see it! [grin!]

19 comments:

Goldfish said...

Okay, when shall we come? 4th of July and bring our sleeping bags?! :D No, then we'd miss Susan's ice cream! :( Maybe I'll come visit you some long weekend. I'll look up how long it is from Elgin to Seward...let's see it's 8 hours and six minutes! one problem, I won't have a car! Hmmm....

Anyways, the kitchen looks great!!

~Dustynne Noelle said...

Oh dear...if only I could!!!
:D
I would love to...by the way, the kitchen looks WONDERFUL!!!!!

Victoria said...

Wish I could visit...:(

The kitchen looks wonderful! It's wonderful how your could pull it off! It's wonderful!

Andrea said...

I absolutely love it!! My "dream" kitchen has always been creamy yellow, white, and blue, and yours is so close!! The Scripture is such a good idea!! Great job on the calligraphy!!

....maybe we'll make it to Seward some day! ;-)

Blessings!

Kori said...

Oh I want to see it! How about I come over in about a week! Is that okay!? :)

It looks great! I love the colors and I can't wait to see it! See you soon!

BrittLeigh said...

Wow, that's soooooo beautiful!!!! I can't wait to see it! I love the way your pantry area turned out. Wow, you guys are incredible!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!! I'm sure you gals know it, but since yellow is the complimentary color of blue, with those blue countertops the yellow was a perfect color! It will just make that blue "sing"...and visa versa. Beautiful!!! It looks great! (And I love the verse on the wall as well!) I'm very impressed with what you guys came do in 28 hours!! ;)

Morgan

Ben said...

I hope I can come on the 4th- then I'd have more than pics to prove your marathon was a smashing succcess! But, I do have our addition to keep working on. Yesterday I got to pull only a 19 hour marathon setting up forms to pour a cieling on our new cellar. After a little more work this morning, I finished in time to have one bowl of, yes, cornflakes! (with rasins of course!)

~AliisaJoy~ said...

It looks BEAUTIFUL!!! What a fun tradition you have!! I especially like the Bible verse . . . . so appropriate!!

Jacob said...

I don't think the control freak in me would ever allow a surprise of that scale. Sounds kind of fun to pull off, though!

--Jacob

A HEART OF PRAISE said...

It's really pretty.:) I love the yellow, it's so cheery, and bright. :)

Justin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Happymama said...

Love the cabinets!! Y'all did a great job. I'm going to the family blog now to see the other pictures.

What a nice surprise for mom and dad!!

~Kristi

Anonymous said...

So totally beautiful--All your doodling payed off! (grin) God has given you a gift, the scripture is lovely, as is the rest of the kitchen!!! I'm sure your mom and dad were really blessed!

Love ya bunches!

Rachel Marie said...

Oh, that was so sweet of you guys!!!
I know what mean... it's so fun to surprise Mom and Dad like that!!! :D

Great job! It looks very lovely! :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful job!

AJ said...

What did your parents do when they saw your work?

Anonymous said...

Great Job!!!!!!!
~Allison~

--->AJ<--- said...

Great Job!!!