Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Settling for less?

Both Scripture and experience teach that it is we, not God, who determine the degree of intimacy with Him that we enjoy.




We are at this moment as close to God as we really choose to be.





True, there are times when we would like to know a deeper intimacy, but when it comes to the point, we are not prepared to pay the price involved. The qualifying conditions are more stringent and exacting than we are prepared to meet; so we settle for a less demanding level of Christian living.

-- J. Oswald Sanders

6 comments:

~Bryant said...

Very true! So often I ask the Lord to draw me closer to Him, but I then realize that I may not be ready to pay the price. I tell Him, "Lord, take everything away, except this." Great quote, Bethany!

BrittLeigh said...

wow, that is quite a statement. I've never thought of it that way before. Profound thoughts. Thanks for sharing! You're always so inspiring ;)

OH, and I *love* your new profile pic! Miss you! probably be seeing you next week if not before ;)

Andrea said...

Wow, that is such a convictingly, painfully true statement. I've been thinking lately what my life would really be like if I lived up to all the revealed knowledge God has given me about the provision He has made in the Christian life.

Thanks so much for the thought-provoking post!

KarenW said...

Amen, it is very true. We sometimes wonder why we are not as close to God as we would like. This is a great reminder!
Thanks!

??? said...

That post is so true..."We are at this moment as close to God as we really choose to be." Wow! Makes one stop and think how close we are choosing to be.

Thank you for sharing. I miss you tremendously!

Smile because GOD loves YOU, and I do too!

BTW--Beautiful flowers you found there!

anna r said...

That is so true! Thank you for those challenging words, and the wonderful picture. I think I have seen them before. Maybe because I see them every day! lol Thank you again for the post Bethany!

Lots of Hugs,
Anna