Monday, May 28, 2007

Remembering


O beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years.
Thine alabaster cities gleam,
Undimmed by human tears!

America! America!
God shed His grace on thee,
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!
-Katharine Lee Bates

Memorial day -- a day to remember those who have fought for the liberty we so enjoy in this land.

One of my grandpas served during World War II, and the other one fought in the Korean War. I'll never forget the day we were able to go see the Korean War Memorial in Washington D.C. with Grandpa and Grandma. To hear his stories and realize all that a soldier sacrificed, not to mention the sacrifice of the loved ones back at home.

Some soldiers came home, many didn't. But they all fought for one purpose: freedom. Scores have been written about the soldiers bravery, how blessed our country is, and even many stories recounted! But one things seems to stand out above all the rest: on a huge marble wall at the Korean War Memorial, the words were carved--

Freedom is not free.


May we never forget that. If any of you reading this have fought in some war, have a loved one who served, or is maybe currently serving -- I want to say a heartfelt "thank you" to you. It is due to your sacrifice and service that America is still "the land of the free, and home of the brave."

7 comments:

~Bryant said...

I enjoyed the pictures in this and the previous posts! It was really nice to see your family again!
Blessings!

BrittLeigh said...

Oh my, you said what I was thinking a lot better than I did ;) Beautiful post!

I found what you shared about your grandpas' especially intersting. My Grampa fought in the Korean war. He never talked of it, save for a few times he told brief stories. I do remember my Gramma would mention different times when he would call out in his sleep, as though he were on the battlefront.

What these men have given for our freedom is truly priceless. Thanks so much for this heart-touching post!!

Goldfish said...

That is such a great post Bethany!!!

abi said...

Amen...freedom is NEVER free! I don't think we realize the full weight of their daily sacrifice!! May God protect and keep them, as they bravely serve!!!

Happymama said...

Wonderful post, Bethany.

~Kristi

Melinda said...

That is a very touching post. May God bless our veterans. My dad is a vietnam veteran, and I am thankful God brought him home safely to us! Thanks for the wonderful post!

~Melinda

CWB said...

Excellent post, Bethany. It reminds me that are freedom in Christ was not free either. Grateful for Christ's willingness to suffer for my freedom from sin.

Forever indebted,
Mrs. Beasley