Wednesday, April 04, 2007

A true servant

"And which of you, having a servant plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, 'Come at once and sit own to eat'?

But will he not rather say to him, 'Prepare something for my supper, and gird yourself and serve me till I have eaten and drunk, and afterward you will eat and drink'?

Does he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I think not. So likewise you, when you have done all those things which you are commanded, say, 'We are unprofitable servants. We have done what was our duty to do.' "
-Luke 17:7-10

--- --- --- --- ---

As true servants, we must be willing to have one thing on top of another be put upon us, without any consideration being given us.

Secondly, in doing this we must be willing not to be thanked for it.

Thirdly, having done all this, we must not charge the other with selfishness.

Fourth, having humility to confess that we are unprofitable servants (that is, that we are no real use to man or God in and of ourselves).

Fifth, the admission that doing and bearing what we have in the way of meekness and humility, we have not done one stitch more than it was our duty to do.


Am I willing to be that servant?


-Roy Hession in The Calvary Road

4 comments:

Andrea said...

That is so good, Bethany! I've read that book before, but it's been awhile. It inspires me to get it back out again!

Blessings!

~AliisaJoy~ said...

Wow, so true!

KarenW said...

It makes you really think. Am I that kind of servant, do people see me as this kind of servant. Are we willing to serve others without having a pat on the back or get recognition. It is a good thought to ponder and a great truth to live by.

Thank-you.
Karen

Emily H. said...

Thank you for sharing that! Isn't it amazing how God will use what others are learning to encourage us also? I don't know how many times I have read your blog and it addressed exactly what I was struggling with/going through! This is no exception! This was really exhorting to me, thanks for sharing it! Have a great time in California!
Emily