Friday, April 06, 2007

Love lustres at Calvary

At Calvary thy infinite attributes were magnified, and infinite atonement was made.

Christ was
all anguish that I might be all joy,
cast off that I might be brought in,
trodden down as an enemy that I might be welcomed as a friend,
surrendered to hell's worst that I might attain heaven's best,
stripped that I might be clothed,
wounded that I might be healed,
athirst that I might drink,
tormented that I might be comforted,
made a shame that I might inherit glory,
entered darkness that I might have eternal light.


My Savior
wept that all tears might be wiped from my eyes,
groaned that I might have endless song,
endured all pain that I might have unfading health,
bore a thorned crown that I might have a glory-diadem,
bowed his head that I might uplift mine,
experienced reproach that I might receive welcome,
closed his eyes in death that I might gaze on unclouded brightness,
expired that I might for ever live.

O Father,
who spared not thine only Son that thou mightest spare me,
All this transfer thy love designed and accomplished;
Help me to adore thee by lips and life.

Go forth, O conquering God, and show me the cross,
mighty to subdue, comfort and save.



-from The Valley of Vision

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it wonderful that across the miles and across age gaps, through your site we can celebrate "together" such a special and life changing event.

It looks like you are leaving soon. I hope your trip and ministry are SAFE and successful. I don't know your route, but however you get out there and back, you will be traveling through some of God's most spectacular.

(I'll try to stay "off the air" as you probably have limited computer time and a lot of very close friends with whom you want to stay in touch.)

Prayers always,
Richard

Anonymous said...

Sorry. I had only a few seconds to write this yesterday and my brain was working faster than my hands apparently. There is a word missing after spectacular. I think it was supposed to be scenery. but you can fill it in with as many superlatives as you can think of. Take a LOT of storage for your camera.

And take a lot of books (and chocolate). There is a lot of wonderful, wide-open space out there.

Thanks to you (and your family) for what you mean to us.

Richard

Anonymous said...

What a gripping excerpt you shared, dear sister...thank you! The picture flows so well, as it not only draws you in to what your reading...but compliments the whole post!

Truly, all I have is my life to offer back...and even that isn't enough!!

Love and hugs,
Anonymous =)

Alyssa Faith said...

That is an absolutely wonderful poem - I love it! I can't quote which part I liked best because it's all so good. Thanks so much for sharing it. We have that book, but I haven't read it much. Needless, to say, you have inspired me to go hunt it up. :o)