Thursday, March 15, 2007

Photo tip

Did you know that over 50% of a good photo is due to the person behind the camera? It is the eye looking through the veiw finder that has to do the thinking. A camera just does what it is told.

To throw out a few more tips to other photographer-lovin' souls...

The first thing is knowing what your subject is. How can you take a picture, not knowing what you a trying to capture? Is it people? emotion? showing a relationship? Are you trying to capture a house? or a home? Even in senic pictures you have to know your subject. Look at the top photo --this is my subject, and yes, the trees reflect nicely. But if you notice, the picture lacks much depth. To me, it is a boring picture.

Secondly, watch for ways to emphasize your subject. After taking the above photo, I tried re-framing the picture, to see how I could capture the feel of the place much better. I posted the results below. Keep in mind that it is the exact same location, just different framing techniques. Personally, I much prefer the bottom photo.

What do you think?

11 comments:

Hannah said...

Thank you so much for those tips Bethany! The top picture is beautiful, but the bottom one gives it more character, and shows more of the beauty of the scenery. :) I'll definitely keep that tip in mind.....
Nice job! :)
HannahBeth

Cheri said...

Lovely bottom picture!!

I enjoy photography (learning right now) and so I appreciate the tip! =)

Goldfish said...

YEAH!!! WAHOOO!! You should ALWAYS do photography tips, Bethany!!!! :D There is so much to learn, and I am sure you know quite a lot about it!!!!! :) PLEASE do more photography tips for "those photographer lovin' souls!!!!" :D :D

Christina said...

Thank you Bethany.

I really enjoyed the tips as well as the before and after pics. People keep getting after me because the more pictures I take the pickyer I am becoming.

A frame within a frame really does work well, as evidenced by the after shot. But you could possibly use your "boring" picture as a background for something.

A fellow photographer (who is so excited about going to Prizewinning Photography in a month),
Christina

Bethany said...

Oooh -- Christina! You get to attend the Prizewinning Photography?! I'm so happy for you! (okay, and a might jealous!) [smile] And I know exactly what you mean by 'the more pictures I take, the more picky-er I become.' So true!

Jacob said...

Thanks for the photo tip. I'm not a serious photographer, but I'm passively interested and glad to get some good information.

Personally, I thought to top photo was pretty good too. But I especially liked the bottom photo; the trees in the foreground accent it neatly.

Merrill said...

Thank you so much Bethany. I like the second picture better too. I will definitely use these tips!

Christina said...

Bethany,

I put that in there because I knew you would know what I meant. :D I will be in Texas at DTC from April 15-20. I am so excited, but this is also very scary for me. I can't wait to be able to take better pictures!! I'll have to tell you how it goes.

Christina

(PS I am very grateful that my Grandma is paying for me to go.)

BrittLeigh said...

Wow, those are such good photo tips! I love how you recaptured the scene. How beautiful!! You make me want to go grab my camera for some cool shots ;)... You're so talented!

(((HUGS)))

PS! I've been away from your blog for awhile, and it's so fun to come back and read all your posts. You never lack in inspiration. What a blessing this sweet little home on the web is to me!

Treaty Line Farm said...

Thanks so much for the tip, I too really like the bottom photo best.

selahV said...

Bethany: the first photo is a picture worth remembering. The second is a postcard! Worth sending again and again to someone you want to remember. wonderful tip