Friday, March 02, 2007

Hidden treasure


I was walking in knee deep water, my eyes glued to the bottom of the ocean. Was that a shell? Or could that little piece showing be part of a whole sand dollar?

As I enjoyed the beach the other day, what a delight it was to search for the ocean's treasures. Eagerly looking for those special gems, what a delight it was to see something sparkling in the water.

I reached down to pick it up -- two thirds of it was buried deep in the sand. As my hand grasped the shell (a little warily, I'll confess! It isn't surprising to find a crab in a conch shell!) I carefully dug and pulled it out of the water. Oh what a joy to realize it was a complete conch shell, measuring nine inches in length! I had never found a complete shell that big. I'd seen them in the pictures and on displays, but what fun to actually find one myself!

Like a little kid, I put the shell up to my ear to hear the ocean. What fun to enjoy the simple pleasures in life!

As I continued keeping my eyes open for treasures, sometimes coming up with broken pieces, sometimes a whole sand dollar, I couldn't help but recall a few scriptures:

"...those who seek me diligently will find me..."
Proverbs 8:17


"If you seek...and search...as for hidden treasures; then you will understand the fear of the Lord,
and find the knowledge of God."
Proverbs 2:4-5

Seeking...searching. Yes -- I was amply rewarded as I hunted for the oceans treasures. Yet how much more should I be seeking for eternal treasures?

Do I rejoice in digging for golden nuggets from God's Word? Or do I read a chapter just because I know I should, and it becomes a duty rather than a delight? Do I approach the Bible with the attitude of complacency? Or am I actively seeking and searching for the truths that God wants to me apply to my life today?

God's Word is so rich, and the promises are sure.

Those who seek will find.

10 comments:

Goldfish said...

Ooooo, thanks for the great reminder, Bethany!! And what a great title for your post!! I love that picture of the sand dollars! Did you get rich? Your questions were so good! Thanks again for the great post!!

Andrea said...

That really blessed me, Bethany! I've been meditating on those very thoughts lately as I've been recently reading through the first chapters in Proverbs.

" Yea, if those criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; if thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures; Then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God."

What a challenge!!

BrittLeigh said...

Thanks so much for sharing those little gems of good wisdom, Sweet Bethany! That is so good!!! A reminder that I confess I've greatly needed. I don't always see Christ for the treasure that He is.

(((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

Very good post, and I love the pictures!!

Morgan

Esther said...

Congratulations on your great find! I have always wanted to find a conch shell. I have found many other amazing things, though. (Is it really true you can hear [a sound like] the ocean in them? When I was younger I tried but I couldn't hear anything, but my older brothers pretended they could.)

Rachel Marie said...

Yes, Congratulations on your "ocean treasure(s)"! I know how exciting it is... ;-) ;-)
Loved your thoughts and meditations, Bethany! So beautiful and true! Jesus is truly the greatest Treasure one could find... may we all diligently seek Him, with all our hearts! Blessings of love!

Anonymous said...

I love this post, Bethany! Thank you for the inspiration and challenge!!:)

Lord willing, I'll see ya real soon!!!

(((((HUGS)))))

selahV said...

Bethany, what a lovely devotional thought. So often we go about a day in search of every day fulfillment. Completing a task from the day before. Beginning a project we'd longed to start. And then at the end of the day, we realize we've left God out of our life. We often ignore that He was the creator of the joy we had in all the small things we find and discover. I'm so glad the Lord placed that conch shell on the beach for you to find. What a lovely surprise He gave you. selahV

Goldfish said...

Bethany,

I was wondering... Have you ever heard of Dana or Hastings College? Dana is in Blair, Nebraska and Hastings is in Hastings. Both are about an hour/hour-an-half away from your home. They both have some photography courses and they are both CHRISTIAN colleges!!! :D :D :D [I am so excited!!!]

Bethany said...

Hey Megan! Yes, I have heard of the colleges you mentioned, though in name only. You're considering coming to Nebraska?! How fun! Blair is actually very close to where we go to church.

And Esther -- yes, I can hear the ocean in the shell. Special memories!