Wednesday, January 10, 2007

True greatness

:: Brokeness means to have no rights before God and man.

"This is the one to whom I will look:
he who is humble and contrite in spirit."
Isaiah 66:2

:: God is decisively drawn to humility. The person who is humble is the one who draws God's attention...and attracts His grace. Think about that: there's something you can do to attract more of God's gracious undeserved, supernatural strength and assistance!

:: Humility is honestly assessing ourselves in the light of God's holiness and our sinfulness.

:: Pride takes innumerable forms, but has only one end: self glorification. It is when sinful human beings aspire to the status and position of God and refuse to acknowledge their dependence upon Him.

Excerpts from Humility: True Greatness by CJ Mahaney

7 comments:

~AliisaJoy~ said...

Great post, Bethany!! So true. Pride vs. humility is something I've been struggling with a lot lately, and you hit the nail right on the head!!

Megan said...

I have been thinking about this lately -- actually, just last night before I went to bed! Great post--the wording is absolutely perfect!

Jacob said...

Nice photo. Makes me think of the great lakes. Where'd you take it?

Peace! --Jacob

Andrea said...

So true! I needed to hear that, Bethany! Thank you for the timely post!

Bethany said...

This picture was taken on a farm in Iowa....nothing near so exciting as the great lakes! :D

BrittLeigh said...

I really, really appreciate those posts. I'm reading (again!) "Living the Cross Centered Life" by C.J. Mahaney. Have you ever read it? Wow, I don't think I could get enough of his writing!

Bethany said...

Hey Britt! No, I haven't read "Living the Cross Centered Life." It sounds SOOOOO good! This book on humility is the first book I have read that was written by C.J. Mahaney. I'm hoping I'll be able to read more of his work!