Tuesday, January 16, 2007

From my shelf

My family and I are about to set out on a seven week trip -- so my posting might be sporadic for a while! I'm never sure when or where I'll be able to get online, but I will post when I can.

With countless miles ahead (translating to many, many hours in the bus!) I am armed with books I hope to read.

First and foremost, my Bible. Something my Dad has done and encouraged us to do, (thank you, Daddy!) is to make the commitment that once a new day has started, I will never read any other book until I've read The Book -- God's Holy Word.

That being said, here's a list of other books I'm hoping to either finish reading or start reading while on this trip:


Humility: True Greatness by C. J. Mahaney
God clearly states that He is drawn to the humble. He's also clear that He opposes the proud. These two, humility and pride, cannot coexist. Where one is fostered, the other is defeated. Which will you pursue?

The Light and the Glory By Peter Marshall and David Manuel
From the first cries of "Land! Land!" on the Pinta to the modern age, the authors make their case that America has been afforded a divine destiny. Columbus' view that God was calling him to bear the light of Christ, the Euro-American victory over Metacomet, King Phillip, and the preachers of the Great Awakening are all seen in light of God's plan for His new nation.

Surrender: The Heart God Controls by Nancy Leigh DeMoss
Where do we begin to be used by God to fulfill His purpose in our world? The answer lies in our devotion to Jesus. Are you just making a contribution, giving Him back what you think you can spare or afford, or is Christ your life? It is a lifetime choice to be slaves of Jesus Christ--and it is because we love Jesus, our Master, that we want to offer Him our willing service all the days of our life.

Before You Meet Prince Charming
by Sarah Mally
How can young people be committed to purity and to God’s best? Sarah Mally challenges young ladies to turn to the Lord for fulfillment, to guard their hearts and minds, to identify and avoid the world’s thinking, and to shine brightly in this generation.

Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ
by John Piper
You’ve never met Him in person, and you don’t know anyone who has, but there is a way to know Him. Look at the Jesus revealed in the Bible. Keep your eyes open, and fill them with the portrait of Jesus in God’s Word. Ask God for the grace to understand, and you will see the truth of His Son. Jesus is the treasure; enjoy Him above all else.


Do you think this list will keep an avid bookworm busy, challenged, and inspired?!

12 comments:

BrittLeigh said...

Wow, looks like quite a list there! I haven't read any of those books, but they all look so good. I hope I get to hear how they are ;).

I'm praying for a SAFE and very enjoyable trip for you and your family. You'll be often in my thoughts and prayers.

I miss you, Bethany!!!

Megan said...

Oh, you are really getting me to want some of these books--especially "Humility: TRue Greatness" -- it sounds SOo good and I need to work on that subject!

Elizabeth Ellen Moore said...

Great list! I think it will keep you busy!

abi said...

Oh, I think that will keep you busy(for a while!:). And I can't wait to hear or read(via blog)what insights God gives you through those books and His word. They each sound soooo good! I've heard of Sarah Mally's book, and wanted to read it myself, as well as been challenged and inspired by Nancy Leigh DeMoss's insights. So you'll have to let me know what you think?!

Have a safe trip. I'll be praying for you. Here's a ton of hugs!

Love you,
Abi

"Blessed it every one who fears the Lord, Who walks in His ways." Ps.128:1

Anne said...

The only book from that list that I've read is "Before You Meet Prince Charming" and it is excellent! I highly reccommmend that book to any teenage girl (or older):o).

Happymama said...

Seven weeks is a long time, but it sounds like you have plenty of reading to keep you busy. Y'all stay safe and I know we'll all be watching for your sporadic posts. :)

~Kristi

~Bryant~ said...

Ahhh, a fellow bookworm!
I love reading good books!

Anonymous said...

Oh! I LOVED "Before You Meet Prince Charming"!!! It is seriously one of the best books I have ever read! Sarah Mally is SO sweet and God is using her and her ministry to teenage girls to be a blessing and encouragment to so many! I want to hear your thoughts on the book when your finished!
God bless your trip! I'm praying for you guys and can't wait to see you all back! ~Grace W.

hannah michelle said...

Oh, good book list! Looks like you're in for some hearty soul & mind food. ;-) I've read the first one (A+!), and there's a couple others you listed that I'm hoping to read, so let us know how they are. Have a safe and blessed trip!

Miriam Rebekah said...

I've read The Light and the Glory, and Before You Meet Prince Charming. Both of them are wonderful books. Actually, I'm still reading the former, and it gets more interesting as I get farther into it.
Have a wonderful trip!

Alyssa Faith said...

What a great selection! I hope you get to read all of them and that God will teach you lots from them. I've read Nancy Demoss's surrender - it's really good and challenging too, I've read a little bit of Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ and hope to read the whole thing sometime.

Enjoy your trip!

Melanie said...

I will be praying for you guys! Seven weeks! Wow. That must be a record, isn't it?