Thursday, December 14, 2006

The Personal Touch

Thou Great I AM,
I acknowledge and confess that all things come of Thee --
:: life, breath, happiness, advancement,
:: sight, touch, hearing,
:: goodness, truth, beauty --
:: all that makes existence amiable.

In the spiritual world also I am dependent entirely upon Thee.

Give me grace to know more of my need of grace;
Show me my sinfulness that I may willingly confess it;
Reveal to me my weakness that I may know my strength in Thee.
I thank Thee for any sign of penitence; give me more of it;
My sins are black and deep, and rise from a stony, proud, self-righteous heart;
Help me to confess them with mourning, regret, self-loathing,
with no pretence to merit or excuse;

I need healing,
Good Physician, here is scope for Thee,
come and manifest Thy power;

I need faith;
Thou who hast given it me, maintain, strengthen, increase it,
Centre it upon the Saviour's work,
:: upon the majesty of the Father,
:: upon the operations of the Spirit;
Work it in me now that I may never doubt Thee
:: as the truthful, mighty, faithful God.

Then I can bring my heart to Thee
full of love, gratitude, hope, joy.

May I lay at Thy feet these fruits grown in Thy garden,
:: love Thee with a passion that can never cool,
:: believe in Thee with a confidence that never staggers,
:: hope in Thee with an expectation that can never be dim,
:: delight in Thee with a rejoicing that cannot be stifled,
:: glorify Thee with the highest of my powers,
burning, blazing, glowing, radiating, as from Thy own glory.



Italics added --
Excerpt from
The Valley of Vision: A collection of Puritan prayers

Though I had never before read this particular book, as I browsed through it last night these words jumped off the page at me -- such heart is seen in these old prayers of the Puritans. I personally was blessed and challenged, and wanted to share it with you today.

3 comments:

~Bryant~ said...

Those are very inspiring!
And beautiful picture!

BTW, Lord willing, I will be spending a few days with the Ulmers at the end of this month, and we will be attending your program at Zion Lutheran Church in Hiawatha.

Megan said...

Wow! That is so good!

Betty said...

Dear child, and you are still a dear child to this 80-year-old.

Just want you to know I am being blessed with your blog today, and will read it again.
Stay with our Lord and continue with an open heart for Him.
You will bless many.

Thank you,
Betty G