Thursday, October 12, 2006

Humility


"Love...is not puffed up."

Then after having learned all that, you have to learn this further thing, humility - to put a seal upon your lips and forget what you have done. After you have been kind, after love has stolen forth into the world and done its beautiful work, go back into the shade again and say nothing about it. Love waives even self-satisfaction. Humility -- love hiding.



This series on love has personally challenged me. Love is the greatest of all these things, for God is love, and love is God. The business of our lives is to have these things fitted into our characters. Is life not full of opportunities to learning to love?

Love is an effect.

And only as we fulfill the right condition can we have the effect produced. What is the cause? In the first Epistle of John you find these words: "We love because He first loved us."

This is the cause of which I have spoken. The effect follows what we love -- we love Him, we love all men. We cannot help it. Contemplate the love of Christ, and you will love. You cannot love to order. You can only look at the lovely object, and fall in love with it, and grow into likeness to it.

Loving Him you become like Him.

Love begets love.

Excerpts taken from "The Greatest Thing in the World" by Henry Drummond

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is SOOOO good, Bethany! I have been so blessed by this series. Thanks so very much for sharing it. I want to save it to have on hand for my own use! Things I couldn't be reminded of too much!

bryant s. said...

Such a lovely post, Bethany!
I love the text and the picture!
Thanks so much!

Love in Him,
~Bryant~

Anonymous said...

I think that loving others the way Christ loves them is very hard, especially when they are difficult.
This entire series has challenged me, but few have really stood out.
Thank you Bethany!!!

Sarah H. said...

Thanks for sharing, Bethany, what a good word :)

Andrea said...

I just wanted to say again, Bethany, how much I have been challenged and blessed by this series on the fruits of the Spirit. Wow! They've been so insightful and practical, and you've given a great book review at the same time! One of these days I just might have to pick that one up!

Thanks again and blessings to you!

Elizabeth Ellen Moore said...

This series has been a blessing. Thanks! Humility is a tough one. As soon as you say, "I am finally being humble," you are no longer practicing humility!

Melanie said...

Excellent words! Thank you Bethany for being in the Word and for sharing the riches that you find. Thank you also for being a living example of love to others (your thoughtful card that I recieved in the mail blessed me SOOO much!).

Love you,
Melanie

abi said...

Thank you, Bethany for taking time out of your schedule to share what God has been showing you. I have been so blessed and challenged! Each post in this series has been soooo timely in some way or another. What a wealth of wisdom we find in His word!

May you be refreshed for refreshing others! THANK YOU!

With a grateful heart,
~Abi~

Anonymous said...

thank-you so much for your helpful insights and the wonderful quotes you've put together for the series on love.it really blessed me and really brought that chapter to a new light for me.

trinitystar said...

Allow the spirit of the Divine to be expressed through you. God is Love. If one is compassionate, forgiving and loving then one becomes translucent and open for the Divine to work through you.
Hugs4u