Wednesday, October 25, 2006

How Deep the Father's Love for Us

How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure!
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure.

How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away.
As wounds that mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory.

Behold the Man upon a cross--
My sin upon His shoulders!
Ashamed to hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers.

It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished.
His dying breathe has brought me life-
I know that it is finished.

I will not boast in anything,
No gifts or power or wisdom.
But I will boast in Jesus Christ,
His death and resurrection.



Why should I gain from His reward
I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom.
~by Stuart Townend

10 comments:

Rachel Marie said...

Ooohhh!
Ilove that song! The words are so beautiful, powerful, and convicting! I'm so overwhelmed by His deep Love for me! I'm so unworthy...

'But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom.'

Anonymous said...

One of my ultimate favorite hymns, Bethany! And what a striking picture to go with it. That reminder is something a person can never tire of. I can't boast in anything but Jesus Christ, His death and resurrection. Oh, What a Savior!

(((hugs)))

Morgan said...

That is such a beautiful song, and it blessed me very much to read it!

Jacob said...

Awesome hymn! It's actually pretty new. The Author, Stuart Townend is still alive. He has the story of the song on his web site. He even has a blog!

The first time I heard this song, it was sung so badly I couldn't even hear the lyrics. Then, I heard the Zoe Group do it at
Totally Acappella Radio, and it blew me away.

Thanks for sharing it, Bethany! Peace out. --Jacob

Elizabeth Ellen Moore said...

This is one of my favorites!

Anonymous said...

Oh, one of my favorite songs! Such sacrifice, love, and grace!! Thank you for a great post. Beautiful picture, sis!

GraceE... said...

WOW Bethany!!!
These words only show a small part of what our Lord did for us on that cruel cross!! What a true reminder that it was MY sin that nailed Him there. Also, a reminder that HE ALONE is all we should boast in! Thank you for posting this Bethany! May we keep our hearts close to Him!

Anonymous said...

Great picture. How did you take that one? Must be a Nikon.

Bethany said...

:D

The picture I posted is one that I took of a painting that our family saw hanging in a church. Powerful, isn't it?!

( : Kate : ) said...

That is a very neat picture!
I am sooo thankful that you posted the words to How Deep The Father's Love For Us. It came up the other day and I was unable to remember or find the words anywhere! My sister and I just kept singing and humming the first line over and over! The melody of that song is beautiful but the words are all the more so! Do you know who wrote it?