Saturday, August 05, 2006

Unselfishness

"Love seeketh not her own."
Observe: seeketh not even that which is her own. We are not summoned to give up our rights. Love strikes much deeper. It would have us not seek them at all. It is not hard to give up our rights. The difficult thing is to give up ourselves. The most obvious lesson in Christ's teaching is that there is no happiness in having and getting anything, but only in giving. He that would be happy, let him remember that there is but one way - "It is more blessed to give than to receive."

6 comments:

Happymama said...

Amen. I have enjoyed these posts so much.

~Kristi

BrittLeigh said...

I love this series you're doing. These statements are so true and profound! Thanks for sharing them.

Andrea said...

Amen. That is so true. Dying to self has got to be one of the hardest lessons learned, but one of the ones with the sweetest blessings.

Blessings to you and hugs!

Elizabeth Ellen Moore said...

I don't think I had quite thought about selfishness in that way before. Thank you!

abby said...

Hey Bethany! i just wanted to let you know that I have put a link to your blog on mine. I hope you don't mind!:) I really am encouraged when I read your blog!!! thank you!

A.N.B said...

Hey Bethany,
The other day Rachel told us about the wedding where you took this picture. It sounds like it was a gorgeous wed-
ding.
~A~
:):):):)????GEUSS????:):):):)