Thursday, August 03, 2006

The question

It isn't so much "Do you know Jesus?", but rather, "Does Jesus know you?"

Head knowledge in Jesus will not save us, but it must be from the heart, an entrusting my life unto. As Jesus Himself said -- "Many shall say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' "

These were men who were preaching, prophesying, healing and doing mighty acts -- in Jesus' name! And Christ said there would be many of them. Yet Jesus responded:

"I never knew you, depart from me, you who practice lawlesness."

Lawlessness?! These 'good deeds?' Good deeds can't save us, knowing factually about the salvation message can't save us. Yes, we need to know the salvation message to share with others and believe, but it is more than just a head knowledge. It is something to base my life upon; something that will determine how I make decisions, how I live my life.

Does Jesus know you? For it is "he who does the will of my Father in heaven" that will enter into the kingdom of heaven.

And for those of us who know Him and are known by Him, what a glorious day that will be.

Scripture excerpts taken from Matthew 7:21-23

4 comments:

Elizabeth Ellen Moore said...

I have been thinking about Matthew 7:21-23 recently too. This is a beautiful explanation!

JoelWNelson said...

Scripture says that even the demons can believe (and shudder).

Jesus said, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me."

Do we know of Him... or do we KNOW Him?

Some day He will return, and it will be day of glorious resurrection and eternal life for those who are in the Lamb's Book of Life and a day of terrible judgment for those not found in the Book. Those who are truly His will be with Him forever. Are we ready? Are we communicating the Truth of Him to those who have not heard?

Good post and good exposition of the passage.

BrittLeigh said...

Wow, that is so challenging, Bethany! Thanks for sharing that. That's so thought-provoking and well written.

Bethanie said...

Recently we visited a different church and the preacher said that same thing. I had never thought of it that way..but I've been considering it every since.