Thursday, June 01, 2006

Where Is Happiness?

Not in:

Unbelief
Voltaire was an infidel of the most pronounced type; he wrote --

"I wish I had never been born."

Pleasure
Lord Byron lived a life of pleasure and wrote --
"The worm, the canker, and the grief are mine alone."

Money
Jay Gould, the American millionaire, had plenty of money. When dying, he said --
"I suppose I am the most miserable man on earth."

Position and Fame
Lord Beaconsfield enjoyed more than his share of both, and
wrote --
"Youth is a mistake; manhood, a struggle; old age, a regret."

Military Glory
Alexander the Great conquered the known world in his day. Then, he wept in his tent and said --
"There are no more worlds to conquer."


Where, then, is happiness found?

The answer is in Christ alone.


"My soul shall be joyful in the LORD:
it shall rejoice in His salvation."
Psalm 35:9
Jesus said --
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world,
and lose his own soul?
or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?"
Matthew 16:26

PCC

10 comments:

Hannah Michelle said...

I like how you put this together with the quotes, Bethany. Reminds me of the chorus of a song,"In Christ Alone"...(can't say I was crazy about the music but I did like the lyrics)

In Christ alone, I place my trust
and find my glory
in the power of the cross
In every victory,
let it be said of me
My source of hope,
my source of strength
Is Christ alone.


And to that we may add "my source of joy...is Christ alone" because indeed, as you so reminded us, He is.

BrittLeigh said...

That is powerful. In Christ ALONE. How true. Thanks for that profound as usual ;) post! God bless you!

Caleb Naylor said...

Hey, great post!!!

Rachel Marie said...

Yes! Jesus Christ is my reason for living and source of joy!
Those poor sinners out there in the world think that they have everything, when really, because they do not know Christ, they have absolutely nothing.

Galatians 2:20!!!

Thanks for the great reminder!=)

abi said...

Greetings Bethany!

Thank you again, and again for your powerful post! What a blessing you are! I can only AMEN what you wrote!!

A verse that challenged me this morning, also fits in the context of your post. "But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own SPECIAL people, that you may PROCLAIM THE PRAISES of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light." 1 Pet.2:9

I was so struck by this verse in a new way today. I've read it before, but today it jumped out in a new light! Are not these promises enough to satisfy, and keep us proclaiming His praises? Am I proclaiming His praises in such a way that others see, and glorify my Father in heaven?

Whoa! What a sacrice He gave, and what a priviledge to live as a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, and His own special people! All because of Him laying down His life for me! Am I living in the light of this?!?!

No money, power, glory, fame, pleasure, can surpass the riches, and joy of knowing Jesus Christ!

Keep beaming for Him, Bethany!

Love ya,
~Abi

John said...

What great quotes! We use to do the song "In Christ Alone". It is a great song. Thanks again for the thought provoking posts.

Anonymous said...

Hello Bethany,
I have enjoyed looking at your blog so much! And what wonderful picture you have on there!
May God Bless and keep thee,
Kimberly Atnip

Monica said...

Great post.. Monica

( : Kate : ) said...

AMEN!!! "In Christ Alone" is a wonderful song with a powerful message! I love the verse that you shared at the end! There's a song entitled "This World" and the chorus states, "This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want and nothing that I need." I quote that almost every time we run errands!!! What sweet fulfillment there is, in Christ alone!!!

Doug E. said...

Great post!

You could put this on in your favorite posts listing.

God Bless,

Doug