Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Rainbows in my sky

Tonight my plans changed last minute, and I ended up flying with Josiah down to Kansas, the plan being that I'd keep him awake while driving home. Since it was so last second, I almost didn't grab my camera - but I did.

What an incredible flight. There were some huge clouds we had to fly under, and as we listened to the radio, we realized there was a possible storm approaching.

Soon, the raindrops started hitting the windshield of the airplane. Josiah assured me that he had flown in rain before...but not quite this heavy! (grin) It soon let up, and then -- oh, I wish you all could've been in the airplane with us. Little rainbow trails started appearing - it was SOOOO incredible.

And then I looked behind us, only to realized that there was one complete rainbow! The full circle. It was awesome! Now I don't say that many things are awesome (that word gets over used in today's society), but anything that God does is awesome...like His creation.

And seeing it from several thousand feet in the air was an experience in itself. It looked like the rainbow was encircling us...like there was no starting or ending point.

Pictures don't do it justice. As hard as Josiah banked the plane and I tried to capture on film, it was still way to big to fit in on one little camera picture. Sorry! I tried!

But isn't that how it is with God's love? Never ending, has always been, personal and real, yet at the same time way to big to understand its vastness?

"The rainbow shall be in the cloud,
and I will look on it to remember the
everlasting covenant between God
and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth."
Genesis 9:16

11 comments:

Rachel Marie said...

Wow, Bethany!
That IS incredible!!!
I absolutely LOVE rainbows! They are such a reminder of God's unfailing promises to those who love and seek Him!
I love taking pictures of rainbows, as well, but you're so right, the pictures never do the real thing justice!
Thanks for the beautiful post!=)

Pastor Josh said...

That is an awesome picture. Yes, God's love is never ending.

TheSauveFamily said...

Wow! What an experience! I have also recently used that wonderful portion of scripture for a rainbow picture, but yours is so much more incredible!
Thanks for sharing this.

I have been keeping track of your blog Bethany, and am always drawn to your beautiful art work through photography and how God has blessed you with a great gift for words! Keep up the good work for HIM! Your light is a beacon reaching to many!

In His Name Alone!

Grace <><

BrittLeigh said...

Wow! That was an incredible picture! What a neat experience! Thanks for sharing that. ...hugs...

Elizabeth Ellen Moore said...

This is an amazing picture! What a blessing for you to experience the beauty and glory of God's creation!

T. Suzanne Eller said...

Very cool picture!

Anonymous said...

Wow Bethany you are so lucky.What an awesome picture.Tell Josiah he just might have to take me up when we come after all!If we come when there's good weather!!
Love Amanda

Scotty said...

I've heard that you can see a complete circle rainbow when you're flying, but I've never gotten to! Thanks for trying to capture the wonder of God's creation in a little man-made device. :-p

Monica said...

oh my goodness that was so beautiful. i've never flowen before so i can't imagine what it would be like up there.

Jacob said...

After a rain shower last weekend, I had the opportunity to discuss the weather with a neighbor. I asked her if she had heard "the story of the rainbow". The way was opened for a wonderful discussion, as she heard about coming judgement, and about God's mercy through Jesus Christ. Rainbows are breathtaking, but they are also an opportunity to remember the Ultimate Story.

Kristin said...

That is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing :)