Thursday, June 29, 2006

Constantly Giving

"Give to him who asks you,
and from him who wants to borrow from you,
do not turn away."
Matthew 5:42

I always used to think that this verse was talking about a financial, money situation, but now I am finding out that it can also mean my time, my energy, and my resources. It is often exhausting to always be giving; always serving; always attentive to other's needs. Yet this is what God commands! Even if we are compelled into something, and it wasn't our choice to serve, we are still to go that extra mile. (Matthew 5:41)

And to tell the truth, often times it seems that I am just throwing bread on the waters. I've wondered before, "Am I really making a difference by stopping to give an encouraging word here, an action there, giving my time to others that I would rather take for myself?"

But what is faith? Isn't it living out an action because we believe it to be true, and base our lives upon it? Believing in that which we cannot see? The substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen? (Hebrews 11:1) So I continue on -- knowing and believing God's promises -- "Cast your bread upon the waters, For you will find it after many days." (Ecclesiastes 7:1)

Oh the tragedy -- to hear, and do nothing.
To know -- but not believe and trust.

Oh the tragedy -- to love my Savior and others so little that it doesn't affect my life, or those around me.


I mention these things, because there are some specific things and situations that I am dealing with. Please don't take it that I am tired of blogging -- because I'm not! My brain is overflowing with ideas! (grin) You all are such an encouragement to me to continue blogging, but as I mentioned earlier, not everyone is as responsive as ya'll! Blessings to you! Never stop pressing in to know Jesus Christ more closely, and letting Him live and flow through you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

many time just a kind word has opened my eyes and strengthened
my faith

da-friend
ps some times a smile is all that is needed

Rachel Marie said...

Beautiful, Challenging, Inspiring, Uplifting Post, Bethany!!!
Thanks for the encouraging word!
We are here to serve Christ, and in doing so, to bless and minister to those around us, in whatever capacity the Lord desires.
God bless you, Bethany, as you continue to seek His face!

BrittLeigh said...

Bethany, in the short time I've known you (in the literal sense. It FEELS like I've known you for a long time ;)), I've been so blessed by your servant's heart. Your willingness to do and the joyful smile you always have.

I like what da-friend had to say about the kind word and a smile.

Thanks for sharing these thoughts. Something that perhaps I needed today especially.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your insights. Your faithfullness is a great encouragement. May God continue to fill you as you pour yourself out to others.

Alyssa said...

Yes! Faith works itself. An encouraging post, and a reminder that God's word can always be trusted. Usually whenever I find myself becoming unhappy in life, is that I am neglecting the truth that obedience brings joy. But it really does!
"Trust and obey,
For there's no other way
To be happy in Jesus
Than to trust and obey."