Friday, April 14, 2006

The Perfect Sacrifice

"Christ Jesus, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross." Philippians 2:5-8
Since today is Good Friday, this morning for devotions I read through the four different accounts of the crucifixion. What struck me was Pilate's words to the crowd: "What evil has He done? I have found no reason for death in Him. I will therefore chastise Him and let Him go." (Luke 23:22)

He is spotless, perfect.
I am filthy, a sinner.

But He loved me so much; and
He so loved His Father's will.

Which meant death. A cruel death. Humbling. The agony. The pain. The scorners. The mockers.

He endured it all.
That I might have life.
That I might be washed clean.
That I may know Him.
That one day I can live with Him eternally.

He suffered for my sins.

The awesomeness of it all...
The knowledge leaves me wordless.

"Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is the Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Philippians 2:9-11

3 comments:

Rachel Marie said...

Beautiful, Bethany! I was blessed reading this post! Truly, I am so grateful, forever grateful, for "The Perfect Sacrafice"... the sweet Lamb of God.

BrittLeigh said...

So good!!! Thanks for that post!

JoelWNelson said...

It is so humbling to think about it personally, to think how it was MY sins that sent Him to the cross. He chose me to be His and then died on the cross to pay the price for my sins... enduring the pain and agony, not to mention separation from the Father... but He did it so that I could be His. It's humbling to think about this, yet to me it also magnifies His grace, His love, and His glory. May we never forget the personal application of Christ's death on the cross... and His resurrection on the third day.