Monday, April 10, 2006

Digging

God and I raised a flower bed.

He really did the most I guess
because we used his soil,
his air, his water, his life, his sun.
My part seemed so trivial that I said,
"Lord, you take those bulbs
and make them grow right here in the box out in the garage.
You don't need me, Lord, you can do it by yourself."

"No," he said, "I want to do my part,
I'm waiting to begin, but you must do yours too.
You'll have to dig the bed,
bury the bulbs,
pull the weeds."

"Okay, " I said,
and I did my feeble part.

And God took those bulbs,
burst them with life,
fed them with soil,
showered them with rain,
drew them with sunshine,
until we had beautiful flowers.

And then he seemed to say,
"Your life is like a garden,
And if you'd like we'll make it a beautiful thing.
I'll furnish the soil of grace,
the sunshine of love,
the rains of blessings,
the wonder of life,
but you must do the digging."

"Lord, you just go ahead,
make me what you want me to be.
Make me a saint,
fill me with compassion,
give me great faith."

"No," he said,
"You've got to keep your heart tilled,
hoe the weeds of evil,
chop away the second-best."

"I'll make you anything.
Pure, clean,
noble, useful,
anything you want to be.
But only if you dig."
Bob Benson

Ouch. I don't like digging! And wouldn't life be so much easier if God could just make me a saint, and I could live how I wanted? It is hard to say no sometimes -- especially in the 'little' areas. I have no problem with abstaining from alcohol or drugs, but I wrestle with using my time wisely, keeping my life de-cluttered, putting others first.

But those are the heart issues. It's painful to apologize, yet afterwards it yields peaceable fruit. Often times it is the harder path that brings the greater blessing. Don't we treasure something so much more if we have sacrificed and labored for it?

Hoe away the weeds in your life, chop down the second best, and let God do the rest.

NOTE -- I hope this post doesn't come across as contradictory after my last post where I stated "It is all Him." Yes, it is ALL Him. And yet if I don't take the time to read God's Word, how will His words "dwell in me richly"? How will I be able to meditate on scripture if I don't put forth the energy to memorize it? How will my relationship with my heavenly Father grow if I don't set aside time to spend in prayer each day? These may seem like 'small' decisions, but they are really the most important things I can do in a day.

And for all the photo lovers -- I took this picture of the tulip while on another walk today. It seems to take the sunlight, and magnify and reflect the sun's glory. Isn't that a beautiful picture of how our lives should be with the Son's light?

"So the King will greatly desire your beauty,
Because He is your Lord, worship Him."
Psalms 45:11

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Hello, Bethany. Just wanted to comment and let you know you've got a new reader! :-D I found your blog through a comment you made on "Aletheia Liberty's" blog, and I've been enjoying it very much so far!

Anyway, I was blessed by that post! There are so many lessons to be learned from the simple, everyday things in life! May we always take the time to ponder them, and apply them to our life.

God bless!

BrittLeigh said...

Oh my, Bethany! You blessed my socks off again!!! That was soooo good! Thanks! Oh, and that flower...!!! Wow! I love your photography!!! Godspeed!!

Hannah Michelle said...

Beautiful! That's one thing I've definitely been seeing over time...It's all Him, but we have to make decisions about how we live our lives...yielding means more than just saying "yes, Lord", it's acting on that, trusting Him for the strength to carry through. Easy to say, hard to do, and I'm far from finished in putting this into practice...thanks for the reminder!