Thursday, January 19, 2006


Exactly one year ago today I bought my camera! Alot has happened in this past year -- it seems like I have always had a camera, and yet it has ony been 365 days! Time sure flies. But we have been lots of places, seen lots of things, and captured many memories. As our family prepares to head out on another trip tomorrow, I am excited about the possible pictures out there -- just waiting to be taken! But as I read in John this morning during my devotion time: "Unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit." My life is only for a moment compared to eternity. I want to bear fruit! I want the Lord to be pleased with my life! It is as I die to self more and more that He is able to more completely fill and live through me.

I think of Betty Scott Stam - she was young, married, and had a precious baby daughter. Life seemed so full and beautiful! So much before them! Yet John and Betty felt called to be missionaries and went to a hostile China. They ended up being martyred for their faith at the ages of 27 and 28. Some may say that their lives were wasted, but ultimately God was glorified through their lives and testimonies to live completely for Him. Betty recorded this prayer, which has also become my heart cry:

Lord, I give up all my own plans and purposes,
all my own desires and hopes,

and accept Thy will for my life.

I give myself, my time, my all utterly to Thee to be Thine forever.

Fill me and seal me with Thy Holy Spirit.

Use me as Thou wilt,

Send me where Thou wilt,

Work out Thy whole will in my life at any cost, now and forever.


Our greatest fear should not be of failure,
but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bethany,
I remember you getting your camera. I think some of your first pictures where taken here, right?! What a blessing your pictures have been. Truth of the matter is though, that God has allowed you to bless others with your camera. This blog has been such an inspiration to me, and I can't wait to see what ideas God continues to give for it! Thank you for the exhortation that unless we die, we can't bear fruit, how true. May God continue to bless all you efforts. Keep shining brightly for him! Hugs your way!